I got a puppy on Sat!

mama24

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
GSO, NC
I'm super excited, I just love her to death already! I went to a flock swap looking for rabbits, didn't see any rabbits, but there she was with a bunch of her siblings! She's a blue eyed, tri-colored Australian Shepherd/Husky cross. She really looks like an Aussie, I can't see much of the husky in her yet, but she's only 7 weeks old. She's adorable! She was super calm and observant and barely ate the first 2 days we had her. I had picked up some crappy grocery store dog food (Purina one--it was the highest protein, best ingredients food I could find there and just needed it until I could make it to a place to buy better stuff) on the way home with her, but I got her some good stuff at Costco (the grain free) plus some canned Wellness brand (also grain free) from Petco yesterday, and after I started mixing her up some of those together she finally started eating and playing with my kids. The previous owners had her on Eukanuba, but she has something up with her skin, looks like eczema, so I'm keeping her on grain free. She's an absolute sweetheart. I can tell we're going to have some problems with chewing for a while, but that's what puppies do. She already follows me around at my heel and sits and looks up at me when I stop. I NEVER had a pup do anything like that without serious training! But I've never had a working breed dog before, though, either, so I don't know if it's normal or not. She also has not peed in the house a single time since we brought her home. She did poop twice, but that's to be expected. But I can't believe at 7 weeks of age, she is already pee trained! And she had 6 siblings, so I can't imagine the previous owners actually did much training! My dh was deadset against getting a dog, but I think she is going to be so good for the kids, and for me!!! He's warming up to the idea. She's so adorable, who could resist? He named her Sheila yesterday. I think it fits her perfectly. :)

Sooo cute! Congrats! I just love puppies. Only word of advice.... If you were eyeglasses, make sure you keep them up high! Our puppy was OBSESSED with my glasses. She even stole them off the bathroom vanity while I was in the shower once. I went through three pairs between March and this past December.
barnie.gif

I love the eyes! I had a malamute with one blue eye and one brown. I bet she makes a great chicken herder.
Congrats!!

She tried herding chickens for the first time today! LOL. I was hoping she inherited more of the shepherd personality than the husky! Looks like she did!

I have a friend who has the exact same mix as she is and her dog is perfectly fine with her chickens. Very protective of them, in fact.

My Alaskan Malamute hated every living thing in this world except me, my wife and my parents. Everything else was toast. The couple I got her from said that her daddy was like that but her momma even liked cats. I guess ya never know.

Back
Top Bottom