i got bit by a mouse!!!

Quote:
I believe that was spread by ticks or fleas that lived on the brown rat. Or was it the black rat? One of the two. Either way, the rat was the carrier of the infecting bugs.

rat fleas are the carriers for the black plague.

"Plague is carried by rodents like rats and squirrels, but it is transmitted to humans by the fleas who live on them. A flea, having ingested plague-infected blood from its host, can live for as much as a month away from that host before he needs to find another warm body to live on. When a blood-engorged flea attempts to draw blood from another victim, it invariably injects into that victim some of the blood already within it. If the injected blood contains the bacterium yersinia pestis, the result is Bubonic Plague. Fleas were, alas, such a part of everyday life that no one noticed them much. In this invisible manner the plague spread from rat to human and to cat and dog, as well."

MY dd got bit once by an injured mouse she thought she was going to save. I freaked, thinking rabies, diseases, or whatever else. Went directly to the ER, they said that mice do not carry rabies, Although they did put her on antibiotics,and said to use antibiotic onintment on the punture wound, and watch for sign s of infection. All was well.

I did not read through all the posts so did you go to the doctor? Remember this is a wild animal and you never know what they got into. Never wash a wound by the way with hydrogen pyroxide(yes I'm a nurse). The hydrogen pyroxide should only be used on closed wounds. The peroxide eats away at good skin tissue. One of our surgeons wouldl kill a nurse if we did that to an opened wound. The best thing is to clean it with sterile water, some bottled water is as close as most can get so that would be fine. Call your doc, when was your last tetnus shot?

wow, this took me a while to reply. So...... my finger is feeling tons better. the punctures are all closed up and there is no swelling or anything.
my last tetnus shot was like 2or 3 yrs ago. Thanks you guys for all your help = )

wink.png
Glad! GOOD!!

After looking at where you live, Hanta Virus would be my first concern as it's so prevalent in deer mice here.

If you have any unusual symptoms, get yerself to an ER, OK? Flu-like symptoms might be Hanta - young, otherwise healthy people in my area died from Hanta, it's not something to take your chances with.

Any animal bite in CO is supposed to be reported, I think to the CDC (via the ER or your doctor).

Cheers,
Michelle

I strongly suggest you seek medical attention. Hanta virus and bubonic plague are endemic to the four corners area. Never mess with rodents or rodent nest if at all possible.

Good luck!

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom