I guess feathers are yummy?

TheBirdBabe

Songster
10 Years
Jun 8, 2013
For some reason my rooster keep grabbing my hens.. wherever he can grab at! He gets a mouth of feathers, swallow them & goes about his business! What on earth is going on here?!
I've attached pictures of the weirdo in question.. my poor hens are starting to bald! :(

Attachments

• 20210704_202101.jpg
    20210704_202101.jpg
    675.4 KB · Views: 7
Look into upping protein to 18-20%, and cut back on the treats, which will further dilute down the protein. It might not fix the issue if this has become a habit for him, but hopefully will help reduce some of the behavior.

I don’t think he’s intentionally pulling them out but probably trying to mate. Our rooster used to do that and then got a mouthful of feathers from the hens running away and ate them just cause they were already in his mouth. I guess your rooster could just be trying to eat feathers for protein but I would guess he’s probably just trying to mate? How old is he?

I don’t think he’s intentionally pulling them out but probably trying to mate. Our rooster used to do that and then got a mouthful of feathers from the hens running away and ate them just cause they were already in his mouth. I guess your rooster could just be trying to eat feathers for protein but I would guess he’s probably just trying to mate? How old is he?
He's 5-6 months old. 🙃 He may be trying to mate, but he's so cruel about it! lol
In the last two days he's been going after another one of the roosters & making him bleed. The rooster coop is almost finished, but not soon enough. 😭

Back
Top Bottom