I had a fit. I threw away the eggs. *Rant

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
I threw eggs away that a broody were sitting on. It was day 7 for them today. My explanation for doing this:
On the 17th my mom says that there is a broody, and this broody is an unfriendly cochin. I already have a mama chicken with 3 week old chicks. She's extremely friendly to people and takes good care of the chicks. There's only 3 of those chicks. There's only 3 because she, like the cochin, chose a nestbox to brood in. So other hens were coming in to lay and eggs got cracked and smushed. With Mama, I HAD to move her. I wanted more silkie/EE hatchlings but 2 of them were smushed by the other hens. I was so frustrated with it. So after a couple days at nighttime, I moved her not too far away from her original location. She was in a nice little enclosure where no other chicken could get to her, and that's where the chicks hatched. They're now being raised in a larger enclosure with Mama.
This cochin started out with 7. I told my mother "no" repeatedly, over and over, she would not listen. Today we got down to 3 eggs. I decided that I have to move her before losing any other eggs. I moved her to the same place I moved Mama and all she was doing was trying to find a way out. The pet carrier doesn't have a door so I couldn't temporarily lock her in there until she settled down. She just kept pacing the chicken wire back and forth. Then I tried to move her to another nestbox where no hens lay, and she fought with me by flapping and pecking, and when I put her in the nestbox she left and went to the original one she was in.
At this point I'm extremely frustrated. I hate the blue cochins because they are so unfriendly, she was supposed to go bye bye. Anyone that I know that wants a chicken could have her and this other blue cochin. The black cochin hens are so nice and cuddly. Anyways, the weather is terrible as winter out here is windy and cold. The eggs would have hatched in November. And my mom tried to add more eggs. I kept telling her that by adding more eggs it will ruin the 21-day calendar and mess everything up. Then, my mom really struck a nerve with me.
We are working in our backyard to make a duck pond, enclosure, chicken coops and runs, pens and such. We aren't even done with the pond (Lots of digging). And she says "I'm going to build a place for them in the backyard" ... Are you kidding me? So we have 2 weeks to finish the pond, put up the fences, build coops, and create a seperate place for these eggs and this terrible cochin?!
barnie.gif
And I have to squeeze in these things with school? No way jose.
rant.gif

(I'm gonna get pimples from stressing out! Oh my word!)
My mother went inside to do her stuff and I was sitting on a stool figuring out what to do. I looked at the 3 eggs in the carrier slowly getting cold. I figured to just get rid of the problem. I threw the eggs away in the big garbage can that the truck empties every Tuesday.

Mom might hate me for it. But I said in the very beginning to her "it's not the right time". I'm not blaming her. I should have stopped her instead of being all submissive. It's my fault and I fixed it. Maybe next year I can hatch again.

I'm sorry if it was the wrong thing to do. I tried to have a convo with my mom about it and all I got was "stop being a smart-butt-" and "shutup i know what im doing". I am the chicken person here and these things weren't fitting with my schedule. My mom doesn't even know the breeds. She just says "red chicken, black and white chicken, yellow chicken" etc. There's four barred rocks so it's hard to know what black and white chicken she is talking about. Oh and the SLWs.
hmm.png
And a bunch of NHRs.

Moochie, you are in a really hard spot; being educated about chickens, but still having someone else over-rule your decisions. It may be kinda tough for Mom, too, thinking you are trying to be bossy. I don't know how old you are, but you sound like a responsible, intelligent person, who wants to be obedient, too. Do you think your mom would do some reading about chicken care and breeding, so she will understand your actions and the timing for hatching? Maybe she wants to learn more but is afraid of looking dumb at this point. If you have any chicken books, you might want to leave them out where she could read them if she wants. Good luck on this issue. And like you said, there's always next year to hatch more.

Back
Top Bottom