I hate Long beach ca

Oh great! Im so happy for Long Beach! Anyone know if those ordinances allowed roosters? I got Nugget from a breeder's choice bantam bin at Blacksmith Corner, and now I'm looking for a good home for him. I wish i could keep him and i wish Blacksmith's Corner had room for another free roaming bantam rooster, isnt the one they have cute? Although, i think when Nugget fully matures he's going to be much cuter, and very handsome! I wasn't aware there were so many more feed stores in the area! Although, Nugget is mostly free range. His diet is supplemented by what we have left over of the 10 pound grow mash we were advised to purchase when i got him; its lasted over 4 months, i barely feed him that stuff, parakeet seed mix, mealworms and crickets. I will check out this organic feed, but honestly, he seems just fine foraging! :)

Oh great! Im so happy for Long Beach! Anyone know if those ordinances allowed roosters? I got Nugget from a breeder's choice bantam bin at Blacksmith Corner, and now I'm looking for a good home for him. I wish i could keep him and i wish Blacksmith's Corner had room for another free roaming bantam rooster, isnt the one they have cute? Although, i think when Nugget fully matures he's going to be much cuter, and very handsome! I wasn't aware there were so many more feed stores in the area! Although, Nugget is mostly free range. His diet is supplemented by what we have left over of the 10 pound grow mash we were advised to purchase when i got him; its lasted over 4 months, i barely feed him that stuff, parakeet seed mix, mealworms and crickets. I will check out this organic feed, but honestly, he seems just fine foraging!
smile.png
No for roosters :( They want to relax it to include goats and bees but I'm sure the anti-chicken people would flip if they even considered roosters. I sent an email to Suja Lowenthal, Patrick O Donnell & James Johnson (they're on the LB Environmental Council Committee) to show my written support before the meeting on Tuesday (the 26th, I think at 4), but only Suja Lowenthal answered and, to be honest, her response seemed slightly patronizing. I hope a lot of pro-agriculture people show, we could use the support.

Hope to show support by sending my DH. I'm working all day....people need their Botox, ya know? Anyway.... nope on the roosters, but seriously, what would be the harm in a couple more hens per home? I really just can't imagine life without them now.

Haven't sent anything in writing, but will be doing that tomorrow before the meeting. Really happy with the turnout at the Thursday meeting, but yikes, can't stand the negativity sometimes. It's so positive where I live nowadays... the urban farm is up and running in an undisclosed area.....hahahahaaaaa As a matter of fact, tomorrow is my first attempt at canning pickles. What's life without some canned pickles?? Maybe the City Council members need some.
lau.gif

I'm hopeful about the restrictions being loosened.....

I think you may have a shot at Midway City feed in Midway City on Jackson Street/Bolsa with the Bantam Roo.... they do take them in.

Best of luck everyone...

Don't be an enabler!!!!!! Do you have any newly hatched or ones due to hatch soon? You must be overflowing with cuteness!!!!!
Total enabler. Yep, that's me.... and right now I'm waiting for my last 10 to do what they're gonna do.... the fluffy butts are everywhere.

Just gorgeous.

Don't let the system win. Start a petition. Everyone should have the right to produce their own food. Things are changing all over. Its also coming up for review up here in the city of Whitehorse YT. People want to have a couple laying hens in their back yard and they should be allowed. all you need is enough people to back you up to be heard.
thumbsup.gif

Aw... no roosters. I personally enjoy hearing Nugget crow in the morning, but that would probably just be me. Thank you for letting me know. This way I know better than to accept anyone who's responding to or posting craigslist ads saying they can take a rooster. I don't want Nugget to end up someone's dinner. BTW, some friendly person let me know that I have a Splash Laced Red Wyandotte Bantam Rooster! I love that someone was able to tell me what he was, because I for sure did not know what I ended up with at Blacksmiths' Corner, and when I brought him in to ask, they didn't know either. :)

He's gorgeous! I wish we could keep a rooster too but, ultimately, it would hurt our chances of keeping hens if we got greedy and pushed for roosters. As it stands, I'm trying to figure out what to do with one of my Orpingtons who THINKS she's a rooster and gets on top of the coop to "crow"! Weirdo chicken.

Kate Karp is an animal activist and writer for the Long Beach post. She is one of the two outspoken women at the Thursday Public Hearing on Backyard chickens, Bees, and Goats and was completely against allowing any "farm animals" in Long Beach.
Here is her article in the publication from today against urban agriculture: Long Beach Post- Feathers Ruffle over Urban Farm Animals

Please post some comments at the LB Post supporting backyard chickens! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom