I hate my RIRs :(

I only have 2 RIR roos, so I can't speak for the hens. They are both 19 weeks old. So far, Big Red has been very laid back, but Buddy has shown some signs of aggression. I did figure out that it is only when we walk too quickly beside him. I think it startles him. Anyway, he's only got a few more chances until he ends up in the pot!!

13523_buddy1.jpg

I have RIR's that didn't start laying until 30 weeks, and now they are so tame that my 3 year old nephew picks them both up and carries them around when he comes to visit. He named the biggest one 'Big Mamma' and she used to chew up my banties before she started laying, now everyone gets along fine.

Five RIRs and 2 NHRs here. All 19 wks old tmrw. tuesday. they don't like being picked up but still they are very inquisitive and sweet and will perch on my arm as I carry them distances up to over 100 feet. Try letting them RIDE on your hand arm and don't confine/carry them. They'll do better. at least mine are much better when they ride and are not confined/carried.

I think they're all sweet.

Quote:
If the hen's combs are bright red, they haven't started laying yet. The combs will fade a bit when they start laying, so will the leg color. They brighten up a bit during times of non-lay, such as moulting, or when the stop laying due to age.

That thread about teaching a roo who's the alpha was mostly nonsense, it's just as well you can't find it. It was full of silliness about not letting roos mate in front of you, which is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

I've had chickens for about the last 15 years, and we had chickens when I was growing up. I've only have one human-aggressive roo in that whole time. I never taught them anything.

I have been raising RIR's for 3 years and never had a mean one. They get along well with the other chickens also. Great layers. Hope your situation turns around for you.

see i have a nine month old rir roo who is just as sweet as can be and very loving but my mom brother and sister say that he is the meanest thing on two legs and that every time he gets a chance he attacks them but,i have never been attacked by my baby nor have i seen anyone attacked if you exclude the time my 10 year old sister was beating a hen with a stick because she was in the garden but that was protecting a hen so i will reward him on that. so yes i think rir are the sweetest chickens in the world.
big_smile.png

I have 12 RIR pullets ( 21 weeks old ) that have just started laying. A friend of ours dropped off a RIR rooster into the run, guessing a few weeks younger that the pullets. Those hens chased and picked that poor roo...by the time I found him they had pulled out every tail feather he had and he was a bloody mess. I make a separate adjoining pen for him, cleaned and salved him with hopes he will heal. We added 2 EE roos this past weekend and the girls do not pick on them...they are in the same run but they do keep to themselves.

Any idea how to make the pullets accept the RIR roo and not pick him to death?

Quote:
If the hen's combs are bright red, they haven't started laying yet. The combs will fade a bit when they start laying, so will the leg color. They brighten up a bit during times of non-lay, such as moulting, or when the stop laying due to age.

That thread about teaching a roo who's the alpha was mostly nonsense, it's just as well you can't find it. It was full of silliness about not letting roos mate in front of you, which is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

I've had chickens for about the last 15 years, and we had chickens when I was growing up. I've only have one human-aggressive roo in that whole time. I never taught them anything.

dancingbear, are we talking about the same thread, the one I read said something about holding the roo in your arms until it stops making noises, and to do this for a week and if that doesn't work hang them upside down but being careful and somethings like that?

Back
Top Bottom