I HATE sand, now what do I do? (Help me with my run flooring)

I used to have a hamster that could squeeze itself under a door with a little over 1/4" clearance. Also, when we had an issue with mice at a rental a few years ago, the pest control guy told us to look around and fill any hole the size of a dime or large with steel wool. After we did that, there was no longer a mouse problem. So, I suppose in the right circumstances and right type of predator, the 1/2 isn't fool proof. One thing I personally witnessed is stray cats will stick their claws into the run which could catch a bird if they were pressed against the wall. The paneling is definitely something that I am going to look into as soon as funds allow, especially with the bedding creating such a mess. I really like the idea of providing a little extra protection as well.

Vick01, when you say the top isn't covered, can wild birds get into the run? Either way, if they were over head and sat on top, it's possible the lice was introduced that way. I do have a dirt box I stuck in the corner of the run and filled it with peat moss and a cup of diatomaceous earth. It really does seem to keep the pests at bay. I also get rid of feathers and put them in the compost pile to avoid attracting any bugs and to hopefully keep the chickens from ever associating eating a feather as a good thing. However, I do worry with time, the wood shavings will attract lice or other undesirables.

I am having nothing but trouble with the waterer. It is on a chain at the highest level, but I've noticed they can fling the wood shavings a good three feet in the air. I just make sure to give them good clean drink in the morning and dump out the rim if it gets too dirty in the afternoon. I feel bad wasting water, so I try to dump it on the compost or plants if it's not freezing outside.

I still the same two complaints: water gets dirty fast and pine shavings get tracked inside even with changing shoes at the door. These do not outweigh the benefits so far. I plan to continue it throughout the winter. I don't know if it is just my imagination, but the girls legs look more sturdy than before. They seem to have more of a grip and are always digging through the bedding. Before, they did a lot more laying around so I suppose it is possible they are gaining some strength in their legs.

There was a slight smell and all I had to do was rake up the areas they don't seem to frequent as much into a large pile and watch them kick it back out flat. I do worry about the area under the feeder and may toss that part out into the compost as there is now a layer of feed building up. I don't want that to start attracting ants this spring.

Over all, I am now only spending 3-5 minutes daily on chores - cleaning out the poo in the coop, changing out the waterer, checking feed and looking over the health of the birds. I am very relieved that this method is working as my back is taking a long time to recover and I was afraid that I wasn't going to be able to keep my birds. But now I feel confident they are healthy and happy with the deep litter method in the run!

I've heard of the wild birds bringing in the lice before, but somehow it didn't occur to me that it was happening to me! Well dah!

I don't know if I can keep them out, so I'll have to work on building up their immunity, and combating them where I can (dusting box, nesting box etc).

I have a chicken waterer which may well solve your water issue. It's basically a PVC tube with a "nipple" on the bottom. You can get many versions of it, but if you're putting it in a messy spot, pick the one that has the nipple, and not the cup. I have one of these in my run, and it works well. I also have buckets of water around, because I panic that they'll run out of water in the hot weather. They drink from both. I didn't realize that they kick up the flooring so high. Maybe it's time I got rid of the bucket and stuck with the tube waterer instead.

Thanks for your help goldfishes.

Also, if your worried about the extra feed on the floor, leave the feeder empty for a bit, and they'll clean it up. Alternatively, scatter some scratch feed on the floor under the feeder.

I am having nothing but trouble with the waterer. It is on a chain at the highest level, but I've noticed they can fling the wood shavings a good three feet in the air. I just make sure to give them good clean drink in the morning and dump out the rim if it gets too dirty in the afternoon. I feel bad wasting water, so I try to dump it on the compost or plants if it's not freezing outside.

Ahhh... The water fountains! In my almost a year of chicken keeping, I think there isn't much you can do to keep the water clean if chickens are around. I'm considering a run addition which would feature a two level area... Bottom would be 3' high and be a place to huddle. The top would be the dining room/ water bar! Not sure the water will stay clean even in it's own clean area.

I'm in Chicago, deep litter is working quite well in the run. As soon as water freezing season is over, I will start using the 5 gallon hanging bucket with chicken nipples on the bottom. It has a lid. Soil and poop cannot get inside.

For winter, I'm using the 1 gallon "bell" shaped fountains with the red plastic bottoms. The one in use hangs from the ceiling and rests on a concrete block containing a 75W light bulb... All fashioned in the safest way I could devise. I have 4 of these fountains so I can be either lazy about cleaning them or take plenty of time to clean them properly. In nicer weather, a couple will be set out around the yard for extra water during free range time.

Sounds like you're getting the hang of it!

Wild birds are awful for carrying pests in our area. I used to feed them until I got chickens. Now I only give suet cakes in the front yard away from the chickens in the spring. I say since you can't keep them out, definitely get them a dust bin going and keep the roost and nesting boxes cleaned. I tried your trick with the feeder and they started cleaning the food right up! Thanks for the idea. :) I was like you in the summer. I had a lot of water for them. I did notice that feeding them foods with a lot of water content helped them stay hydrated and cool.

Personally, I can't see myself using the water nipples because of the algae issues we have in the summer and freezing temps in the winter. I don't mind changing the bell water, I just feel like the dirt can't be ideal for them. Maybe as I grow in confidence I'll try the bucket idea you have in the summer. Sixchickflock - do you plan on keeping the deep litter in the run in the summer as well? I'm still not sure how this will work in warmer weather. Will it make them too hot?

Goldfishes...

I do plan on keeping deep litter through the summer. I've been doing it since I built the coop and run in April. It didn't get too hot last summer. Never an smell or insect problem. Mine have the run of the yard most days. The run is sheltered by a Burr Oak... So it doesn't get too hot. Pretty flat here, too, so I don't have any water runoff problems.

I'm considering adding a colony of red worms to help out...

I ran across a worm scheme that has a deep main bin/box/pit with a shallow overflow... The chickens can't access the main part and the worms cane escape into the run litter when they are overpopulated. I imagine this requires more effort, adding spent coop material to the bin. I would need to keep a colony growing indoors to boost their numbers each spring. I don't think they'd survive the winter.

Also saw a similar system for composting human waste in an outdoor toilet. Interesting.

Thanks for the information on the deep litter in the summer. I was worried about that since my red girls get overheated easily. Let me know how it goes with the worm experiment. I'd be interested in trying it if you are successful. RonP, you don't happen to have a picture of your run, do you? I've read a lot of your posts and would love to see it.

Here is a problem I noticed today and I'm wondering if this is a direct result of the DLM. Looking for some guidance. One of my chickens has some long nails. I just now noticed, but it looks like they've started to curl a bit. I'm worried the bedding is too soft and they aren't able to sharpen their nails sufficiently. Is there anything I can put in the run to help or should I remove a section of the deep liter and put some scratch on the dirt? They are long enough to be concerned. Oddly, I don't notice this on any of the other girls and this one just finished molting if that matters.

Thanks for the information on the deep litter in the summer. I was worried about that since my red girls get overheated easily. Let me know how it goes with the worm experiment. I'd be interested in trying it if you are successful. RonP, you don't happen to have a picture of your run, do you? I've read a lot of your posts and would love to see it.

Here is a problem I noticed today and I'm wondering if this is a direct result of the DLM. Looking for some guidance. One of my chickens has some long nails. I just now noticed, but it looks like they've started to curl a bit. I'm worried the bedding is too soft and they aren't able to sharpen their nails sufficiently. Is there anything I can put in the run to help or should I remove a section of the deep liter and put some scratch on the dirt? They are long enough to be concerned. Oddly, I don't notice this on any of the other girls and this one just finished molting if that matters.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures, and my run has a foot of snow covering everything.

The girls won't use it till all signs of white disappears.

I'll post some pictures when the snow is gone.

As far as the nails, I have 16" concrete pavers under the feeders.

I often see them "scratching" them.

I do believe this helps keep their nails trim, as I have no issues with long nails, and deep litter inside and out.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom