I Hate to Say It, But,

Pics
how does one freshen up the bloodlines with outside blood?
I do believe I recall you are trying to move toward an autonomous flock?

This fall I will probably buy some new Blue Australorp chicks or try to obtain some hatching eggs.

I'm not *that* set on a fully-closed flock because I don't have the facilities to maintain a spiral breeding program.

I have no idea if this is likely to help, but since I want to get Rameses through the spring breeding season without either of us getting hurt, I am trying something that may or may not help, but probably won't hurt.

When going out to close up, I'm picking him off the roost and carrying him around for 5 minutes or so -- talking to him the entire time.

It *might* (or might not), help convey the idea that even when I'm doing odd things I'm not a threat.

Then, when I'm done, I put him down on a different part of the roost than he chose.

The chance of conveying much to a bird whose testicles are larger than his head is probably slim, but I feel better about doing this than about trying to chase him, carrying a rooster stick, etc.

I will continue to walk through him and the young cockerels, as always.

Me Never having a rooster , i have read up on it while staying at a holiday inn. Picking him up at the start of doing anything will help by what i have read. The rooster has to be seen in charge and large by his ladys. Don't show up a pimp to his ladies or its on. Carrying him around the rooster says "look ladies, i got the giant doing this for us. It was my idea."
Always go get the rooster first so he can announce his authority to the ladies. Pimping ain't easy.

I have no idea if this is likely to help, but since I want to get Rameses through the spring breeding season without either of us getting hurt, I am trying something that may or may not help, but probably won't hurt.

When going out to close up, I'm picking him off the roost and carrying him around for 5 minutes or so -- talking to him the entire time.

It *might* (or might not), help convey the idea that even when I'm doing odd things I'm not a threat.

Then, when I'm done, I put him down on a different part of the roost than he chose.

The chance of conveying much to a bird whose testicles are larger than his head is probably slim, but I feel better about doing this than about trying to chase him, carrying a rooster stick, etc.

I will continue to walk through him and the young cockerels, as always.
I've only had a few cockerels. I handled all the chicks frequently when young but stopped so much with the males once I realized they were males. I still would pull them all off the roost at night, the males less frequently. Just holding them fairly briefly, touching them all over, while talking in a calm voice. I am convinced it helped with all, especially the males, as when they were startled by something, or when I was changing out leg bands, I was doing my voice would help to calm them. I thought of it as "when I touch you, you won't die" training. :gig

I've only had a few cockerels. I handled all the chicks frequently when young but stopped so much with the males once I realized they were males. I still would pull them all off the roost at night, the males less frequently. Just holding them fairly briefly, touching them all over, while talking in a calm voice. I am convinced it helped with all, especially the males, as when they were startled by something, or when I was changing out leg bands, I was doing my voice would help to calm them. I thought of it as "when I touch you, you won't die" training. :gig

When Rameses was young I had to take him out of the nests where he was determined to sleep every night for a couple months.

I do make a point of petting my birds on their roosts regularly.

Any one of my birds gets fussy when i handle them on the roost, she gets the treatment the next day. I sit a five gallon bucket in the walk in coop. I go find ms fussy britches and grab her up. I look her over good, flipping, checking feet while heading for the five gallon bucket. By that time she is fussing nonstop. I sit down and pet her up holding tight. rubbing their waddles seems to get them still. by this time everyone is watching. I get some raisins out of my pocket. I don't let go of her until another bird jumps up on the other leg for some raisins too. Then everybody is wanting their raisin. you get a raisin when you get up or get petted. For some reason little ms fussy britches is still sitting on my knee after all the raisins are gone.

Back
Top Bottom