I Hate to Say It, But,

^^Interesting. Ok, my uncle was a pilot in the Air Force in WWII and Korea, but I don't recall hearing him say it.

Maybe he said it when you were too little to remember and then as an adult you heard the instructor say something in the same vein and corrected it in your takeaway version?
I'm sorry for interrogating you about this, it's just so curious :D
And also I'm a little loopy on pain meds for my hand after tendon surgery yesterday... so I may not recognize this later :p Related to roosters (culling) but not the roos fault ("don't do a Becky" should join the collection of tidbits before wielding a knife).

He'd been pushing boundaries yesterday too and it was a pretty hard hit.

I've told my family to stay out of the coop and run until this resolves, even though that robs me of my assistant on the days the arthritis is bad.

He's got until the next reasonably good-weather day I have off to shape up. Or, if he draws blood he's gone as soon as I can catch him.
I get it. You gotta do what you gotta do. :hmm I like how you are handling it all ... class act.

On a personal note, let me think - Sebastián is 7 months old, from the first set of birds we purchased from that store. I do not handle my birds (still, ughhh). Bless his heart he is out there crowing right now (0647). Initially his peck did not bother me, I thought it kinda funny and used it as an excuse to stop in and hang out with yaw'll. 🤷🏿 As I inspect my hand now, dag nabbit the purple spot is STILL present, skin broken; but no pain. I don't want to "see what he might do next". Truth be told NOW, I am skurred (as the kids say). 😵‍💫

You have plans and all so I do hope your birdie gets his act together before he is served with dumplings or something.

I've had one and two year old roosters decide to take me on, and it didn't improve until the offending bird was removed, permanently. Sometime it just seems to happen, sadly.
Be careful that his third try isn't more serious...
Mary
Yeah, see that's what I was thinking when I responded that I don't wanna wait around for a second, "let's see". Due to personality differences hubby will most certainly not side with me. You see he wears steel toed boots for work every day and uses them judiciously. Only time I see him without them is for showering, sleep, worship services 🤷🏿. Months ago he told me Sebastián got him when he was in the run interacting with a hen. He said he was protecting the hen so I thought nothing of it. Plus, it was him, not me. He knocked him in the head or some such and got the roo off of him (his style). I probably would have ducked and cried/screamed such a wimp.

Last edited:
I agree with this. I haven’t read the full thread or checked reply dates, but if this is a one off thing, I otherwise don’t consider a peck as a sign of irreversible aggression. I have two oriental-gamefowl type roosters that are very smart and will sometimes peck me for treats. One will occasionally grab the top of my shorts and pull them down like the dog on the Coopertone add. Flogging is more problematic. Sometimes I think its just a manifestation of intelligence and personalty.

Flogging is different. Flogging is usually irreversible.

Edit: I didn’t look at poster’s name either. Ya’ll know Indo. He’s friendly as can be but uses his mouth to get my attention or express displeasure. Nothing I consider man fighting. He’s just smart and his mouth is the closest thing he has to a hand.
What's this "flogging" in relation to the discussion, chicken behaviors? sounds painful. 😑

Wow! I thought my rooster was big, mine is half my height! A total mutt, Easter egger mixed with Columbian mix.
Wow! Are you perhaps short then? omg, that is phenomenal. I ain't never seen a chicken half my height 😳. LOL and here we are with 4 brahma pullets (1 light, 3 dark) and poised to acquire a buff brahma roo and three pullets soon. Ha ha ha. They're all lil things for now. Only 21 weeks, with the light ones being 16 weeks.

Last edited:
Update: Rameses is still flockmaster, because I very much want to hatch his eggs with his granddaughters.

He's calmed down and started giving way to me again, but I am remaining careful around him.
Glad to see that he’s decided to restore at least a few brain cells! Hopefully he will be smart enough for you to keep him through the breeding season!

Back
Top Bottom