I have 10 (each a different breed); which 6 do I keep?

Choose 6… ONLY 6

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Either go full size or bantam size. Overcrowding cause very ugly behavior, and being raised together, or allowing them outside the set up for a couple hours a day will NOT compensate for it.

Go more smaller birds, but not 6, or go less bigger birds.

Your birds are probably getting along now, but they will keep growing, and the coop will not, rapidly that is not going to be enough room.

Mrs K

Personal preference-- I would rehome the ones with feathered feet, followed by ones with muffs/beards on their faces. If there are still too many, I would rehome any that have social issues (either bullies or their victims, depending on which individual ones you like better.)

The reasons: I strongly dislike muddy foot feathers, and I also dislike restricted vision (muff/beard can do that, if big). And of course the easiest way to a peaceful flock is to remove the ones that don't get along well.

I would keep the BCMarans, Favacana, and the CL. That would give you a lovely egg basket, perfect for your space, and those breeds are especially good looking. Also good for small children. But that is MY opinion. You should do what’s best for you. Also I don’t really like bantams but if you do, go for them. I find them needy, poor layers, and relatively unfriendly. But that is just my experience with them.

The Bantam Easter egger and the Fav both lay pretty eggs and if you decide to hatch any fertile eggs the Silkie would make a good broody hen. Good luck! Keep 3 and keep them in the bigger coop.Chickens need lots of space.

Hi Folks,
Mix and match: pick 6, ONLY 6 😜
Assumptions:
* 6 hens
* All same hatch date (7/18th)
* hand raised together
* urban backyard
* San Francisco Bay Area (maybe 2 weeks in the 90s in late September; otherwise mild year round)
* coop: 13 square feet
* attached, enclosed run: 82 sq feet
GOALS:
* entertaining pets (but choose quiet and boring over noisy and fun)
* low conflict… I have learned my lesson; I’m never introducing new hens into an existing flock. This is my do-over.
* colorful egg basket

So much depends on individual temperament, but I’ll need to rehome a few gals in a couple of weeks. Which 6 would you KEEP? (As much as I would like to keep them all, I cannot.)
A) cream legbar
B) black copper marans
C) green queen Easter egger bantam
D) Favaucana
E) mottled Cochin bantam
F) buff silkie bantam
G) silver spangled Hamburg
H) golden buff (red star)
I) Swedish flower
J) Mille fleur d’Uccle bantam

THANKS!
I will take your Bantams. I live in San Francisco

Hi Folks,
Mix and match: pick 6, ONLY 6 😜
Assumptions:
* 6 hens
* All same hatch date (7/18th)
* hand raised together
* urban backyard
* San Francisco Bay Area (maybe 2 weeks in the 90s in late September; otherwise mild year round)
* coop: 13 square feet
* attached, enclosed run: 82 sq feet
GOALS:
* entertaining pets (but choose quiet and boring over noisy and fun)
* low conflict… I have learned my lesson; I’m never introducing new hens into an existing flock. This is my do-over.
* colorful egg basket

So much depends on individual temperament, but I’ll need to rehome a few gals in a couple of weeks. Which 6 would you KEEP? (As much as I would like to keep them all, I cannot.)
A) cream legbar
B) black copper marans
C) green queen Easter egger bantam
D) Favaucana
E) mottled Cochin bantam
F) buff silkie bantam
G) silver spangled Hamburg
H) golden buff (red star)
I) Swedish flower
J) Mille fleur d’Uccle bantam

THANKS!

Back