I have a broody Quail! (And question)

Melody102

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Ontario, Canada
My quail Rosie is being super broody! It’s so cute! I don’t have any males so the eggs aren’t fertile but I think she’d be an excellent mum.
Question, if I take her eggs will she stop being broody or is this something she will on and off again do? Are there like fake eggs I can give her to make her happy or would that just sort of make her depressed if they never hatch?
37D26365-CBF9-4641-BC1F-86A4087429CD.jpeg
D93D0B6E-8E98-482E-B5E2-89956A8294C1.jpeg
E5F44FEE-4C2F-4E5C-9912-BA0D7066380A.jpeg

I have one who is always broody. Every night she’s sitting on a pile of eggs, I even use my grabber tool to lift her and move her when she’s in the nest bin lol she diligently sits on any eggs she sees, and she makes my roo Aragorn help her. He guards her and sits on the eggs when she’s eating. He is really terrible at it tho, so if I left her eggs he would kill them by sitting with half of them not under his butt.

To add, if she walks away and sees a different egg, she will often switch to the one she’s standing near.

Try snd get her some fetil eggs to sit on. I you take her eggs then she will stop, but ti will take a bit, since the other hens will jus keep laying eggs under her until she has given up. She will likely go broody again next year as well.

Mine generally try again if they don't hatch anything the first time (or first few times). I would try giving her fertile eggs. I had a king quail broody on infertile eggs, so I gave her some fertile ones. She rejected them because they weren't hers, but king quails are generally fussier. It's worth a try :)

Back
Top Bottom