I Have a deer, am clueless, but processed it anyways - UPDATE

I'm not too far from VA... when are you going to invite me to try some fresh, young lamb?
big_smile.png
lol.png

Quote:
Ok Chel, I'm glad you said that is ok. Drumstick took over 200 pics.
We took this whole thing very seriously, unlike culling a silkie.
Thanks!

LOL, If you want to show all 200 of Drum's photos, perhaps you should link to a photobucket or kodak album for the sake of our dial up buddies.
tongue.png

If you post a lot of the photos here, perhaps you could post the click-on thumbnails for faster loading for slow connection folks.

Chel

Quote:
Next time Im in NC we can drive up to Miss Prissy's together.
wink.png
I LOVE lamb but I think it is one of those love it or hate it foods. My sister cant stand even the smell of it. I especially like lamb burgers. Mmmmmmm. And mint jelly with it. Lamb needs to be eaten hot.

Ooops, bringing us back to the topic........ we'll stop by PC's for a deer meat dinner, too.

Chel

Quote:
Cmon over. We'll have a BYC DeerStock.
smile.png

There's plenty of chicken, turkey and quail here too for those who don't
care for deer.

I don't understand the soaking to remove the "gamey" flavor. A properly field dressed deer, properly cooled quickly, and properly processed does not smell or taste gamey. The key is to get the animal skinned and cooled as quickly as possible. After I have my deer hanging, I wipe the entire carcass down to remove any blood. Blood spoils quickly and that can impart an objectionable taste to the meat. I trim off all fat and bone the deer out by muscle groups. The hind quarter can be section into 3 really nice roasts. All of the meat I intend to grind I spend a lot of time removing any tendons, sinew, and membrane. Basically if it's white it ain't right. These are what was used for bow strings and sewing thread. Not the stuff I like to have in my digestive tract. We eat venison about 3 or 4 times a week and love it. It's my favorite red meat. The only time I and any other meat or fat is when we make meat loaf. Venison should be slightly pink to give you the best flavor and the easiest chewing. I grill a lot of venison as well. We dredge it in olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and sear it on a very hot grill. Don't overcook. You will love it.

Back
Top Bottom