I Have a deer, am clueless, but processed it anyways - UPDATE

Quote:
With this doe being hit by a car she is likely full of heart pumping adrenaline - soaking helps take out some of that wild taste.

I soak steak cuts and tenderloins in milk.

Quote:
Well ..yeah... LOL! Its a personal taste thing - some people like the gamey taste and some dont. Deer is VERY gamey..

I'm betting PC, given its his first time tasting deer - should try it both ways, but... bet he wont like how gamey it is
tongue.gif

Betcha a dollar!
big_smile.png

o.k.
big_smile.png

he's a yankee,,, he BETTER like the "gamey" flavor !!!
lol.png

Just remember it is NOT beef, It don't taste like beef, don't Look like beef, don't feel like beef, don't smell like beef.
IT IS NOT BEEF!
barnie.gif

I've known people to throw away their first deer because they cooked it like beef and it smelled and tasted "funny" so they thought it was "bad"
he.gif

It's not bad, just different. Like squirrel don't taste like chicken, chicken don't taste like turkey, beef don't taste like pork, shark don't taste like tuna or halibut.
droolin.gif

you can cook deer just like you cook beef.... hubby does it all the time. Steak, roast, burgers....

the trick to deer is to cook it slow and add some fat to it as there is none - which is why with the burger we add bacon when we grind it up. Roast is cooked just like a beef roast would be cooked (veggies, spices, etc) and for steaks, you just need to cook them SLOWLY on a low flame and NEVER NEVER leave them unattended - you have to constantly turn them or they will dry out.

You can even bread the steaks and make "country fried steak"... just remember you have to have fat when you cook deer.

No, it doesnt taste like beef - not at all - which is why I dont like it, it is an aquired taste, but I dont like any type of game meat.

ETA: You can even MIX deer with beef if you want - do a "half and half" mixture to cut your beef burger. It makes for an interesting burger, but you can do it, especially if you like chili or spaghetti sauces.

Last edited:
i turn everything i possibly can into little steak "bits",, throw some batter on em, and fry em up mmmmmm mmmmm good.
my oldest (6 years old) and me use to have a handful of fried deer EVERY night,, hehe
wink.png

EDIT: kuz eye kant spel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom