I Have a deer, am clueless, but processed it anyways - UPDATE

The two backstraps are in the freezer but someone told me the neck
wasn't worth it. The backbone, including the neck, and ribs are still on
ice so I'll look closer tomorrow. Thankfully I still have time to check
out the neck.

You folks all know your deer.
bow.gif

Butchering it was sorta fun. It was definately the best part so far.
Everything cut and came apart so well. I wish some of you were
closer so i could share some of this with ya all.

Last edited:
PC, my husband is an avid deer hunter and...I can't remember the specifics on this; will have to ask...but there's something about the transference of a certain smell from a dead deer (who I believe had been eating corn) to the hunter who guts him. Hangs around on you, and IN you (absorbs; that strong), for a day or so.

LOL...gross, huh? I'll have to get my facts straight. But maybe some of these knowledgeable folks know what I'm talking about...

Quote:
Henspa...funny you mention it...

Gutting deer for the first time, I can relay that experience. Even after a shower, I couldn't seem to shake the smell. I thought it was mental though because nobody else seemed to smell it.

Take the neck and soak it in salt water over night. Rinse well and soak and cold water a few hours.

Then put the neck in a big roaster (if you have one - I have a huge one that will hold the length of a neck). Let it clow cook for 8 - 10 hours. When you lift it out you should have two long rolls (like tender loin) of super tender meat pull away from deep in the neck bones.

Remember the meat next to the bone is the most tender.

There should be alot of sweet meat on that neck if you are willing to pick the bones - just like picking chickens from the crockpot.

Gosh, in my area it's illegal to take the deer from the roadside like that. If you hit it, you're supposed to stay with it and call the police. Apparently they will then dispatch it and arrange for it to go to the nearby wildlife sanctuary.
Bummer.

ya man,,, the neck makes a great roast !!,, and DONT YOU DARE turn them backstraps into a roast !!!!!!! make them into steaks,,,, thats the BEST cut of meat on the whole deer.
wink.png

alot more meat then them little silkies aint it,,hahahhaa
wink.png

Ok PC now is the time to ask recipes: Smoked sausage, Italian sausage, Summer sausage, Jerky, meat loaf. Gf made a skillet meat loaf to ladle over potatoes Mmmm Mmmmm good! Use the same spices, tomatoes, peppers, and onions as meat loaf but make it like chili. Add a couple tablespoons of lemon juice to start when you put the meat in the pan always helps. We used ground:pork, beef, venison, chevre in taco meat, venison is most popular.
We asked for a meat cuber for Christmas! Come on Santa! Thanks again from all of us! We hate to see good meat wasted.

Back
Top Bottom