I Have a deer, am clueless, but processed it anyways - UPDATE

how could you possibly know that?
tongue2.gif

The number of deer I have field dressed now numbers up in the hundreds, but I still haven't forgotten that first one. You are to be commended for being willing to try something new. Now you will be rewarded with a bounty more flavorful and healthier than anything you could buy in a meat market. Great Job~:

this is so amazing! The whole idea of using the meat and not letting the deer die without purpose is great. many families are starving. it would be so impowering for them to learn from this kind of situation and provide for their families.
We often get road kill from the road workiers brought into the shelter where it is store in a giant freezer and then eventually sent to rendering. There is a wolf rescue that is down south of here that is trying to bring the Mexican red wolf off of the endangered list. They will come and get the dead deer and take them to the rescue to feed the wolves and I thought that was really cool, this situation is just as cool.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yuck!!!
sickbyc.gif

PC, I don't know if I would brave eating a deer that I didn't freshly shoot...but that's just me....I also don't order seafood unless I'm in sight of a beach...good luck!!!

The deer was alive when I found it. It's lower back leg was broken.
The poor thing was trying to run away. The I stood 5 feet behind the
police officer as he dispatched it. Within 45 minutes I had it pulled down
to my barn and was processing. It was very fresh and had no damge at all
to it. I simply removed the broken portion of the leg.

Thanks again for all the words of encouragement everyone. This
was a wierd situation.

Today I'll figure out the butchering thing.
smile.png

PC - let it hang for a few days if you can -it will taste better and get the rigor out...

just make sure its cold enough soas not to decay...

look online to learn the parts of a deer - you dont want to mess up and ruin the tenderloin
smile.png

ETA: Also - when you go to cook/eat it - many people will tell you to soak it in differnt things to get the blood/gamey taste out. My hubby soaks his deer (if doing roast/steaks) over night in a mixture of water and salt (not too much salt though) and changes the water twice and/or as it gets bloody, more if needed (puts in the fridge as well) The meat will change color from a dark red (as you see when you cut it) to a brownish color due to soaking, its normal. I'll ask him the ratio (just asked him *he called* - for a roast/steak 3 tablespoons of salt to a quart of water, good rule of thumb is enough salt that it doesnt disolve in the water *COLD WATER ONLY* think sugar in iced tea) Do not soak tenderloin.

If you're going to do hamburger - mix in some bacon to the deer - deer is very very lean and needs fat. You'll never regret it!
wink.png
I'll ask him that ratio as well - use 1 lb of bacon to 5 lbs of deer - a little over or under either way wont hurt ya!

I dont eat deer but hubby does and has given the deer burger recipe to everyone he knows that never used anything in their burger at all - they tried it and now this is the ONLY way they eat deer burgers.

Give it a shot! Enjoy
big_smile.png

Last edited:
You might think that the photos are graphic, but we put photos of chicken processing here all the time. It's been a long time since I have killed and processed a deer, and I, for one, would like to see them. Maybe you could put them in with an update and "graphic pics" warning. Puleeez!!

Back
Top Bottom