I Have a deer, am clueless, but processed it anyways - UPDATE

Usually if they are hit in the rear it ruins the meat in the back legs. Many times it breaks an artery and they bleed internally. Field dress it: Cut circle around anus then core it so that you can pull it inward when you remove the intestines. Then slice up the center of the belly (Shallow) from crotch to breast bone taking care not to puncture the intestines(run 2 fingers inside of the belly as you slowly cut tissue between them). I usually pull out bladder 1st, then anus, intestines and pull stomach outside cavity note: you may have to slice connecting tissue inside the cavity to get it out. Slice trachea and juglar under the throat so you can pull lungs and heart, liver out. Now cut around the outside of diaphram inside the cavity to reveal upper chest contents. It is attached mostly along the spine. Cut along the spine and grab there to pull everything out that you can . Do not rip apart the liver and spleen. Wash out cavity. Hang it up. Skinning it is easier when warm if you have a place to keep it protected like a clean cold garage as not to contaminate the meat. It is easier to cut up when frozen. I usually debone the meat saving roasts, loin (sliced or whole). Good luck!

Good for you!! When I was a kid, our neighbor hit a deer and brought it to us to see if we could process it and salvage any meat. We did, and though a lot of it was demolished, there was a good amount of nice meat. I think the best thing about it was the impression it made on my young mind. You never waste any part of an animal if you can help it. Good luck
big_smile.png

Come on PC! You can do this easy! I have done several and use to trap when I was a kid. Animals are actually easier for me to process than a chicken! LOL Gutting is probably the hardest part - that and when it is cold and your hands want to freeze! LOL Good luck and enjoy. I am sure you will get quite a bit of meat for your family.

Thank you SO MUCH to all of you.

I got through it with the help of my son holding the flashlight and
clicking away with the camera.

It wasn't bad at all.

I took a sharp pocket knife, cut the skin down the abdomen, sliced
open the chest cavity, didn't rupture any internals, sawed the chest
open with the poscket knife, cut the windpipe or esophagus, removed
the guts(sorry), and then skinned it.

It was hard work and hard on the back. I did it all on the ground.
It's 20 degrees out there with snow on the ground. FUN!!!

Never in a million years would I have done that without reading the
many posts here. Thanks again all.

Last edited:
It is alot of work!!!! Congratulations on gutting your first Deer
clap.gif
We had to do it a few years ago and it was hard work. Now you need a butcher. You can let it hang for a day or 2 if you need to and it stays as cold as its been. I'm glad the deer was not left to waste
smile.png

thumbsup.gif

hehe,, its just like a HUGE chicken,,, maybe ostrich
lau.gif

i cant believe you live up north and havent gutted a deer,,,,, hahaha,, i think its easier then chicken
wink.png

glad ya made it !!
now,,, i'll PM ya my address,,, i think ya ought ta share
hmm.png
wink.png

I'm gonna guess and say the processed part weighs 60 pounds, maybe
more if the pain my back is in means anything.

I've never even tasted venison. It's been an interesting day.

I do have pics of the gutting but don't think I should put them on BYC.
They are graphic.

My "Northern" wife thinks I just gutted Bambi. I tried to explain we
just saved the meat from going bad. She won't buy it.

Back
Top Bottom