I have a delicate situation here! VIABLE abaondoned 23 day egg + Heating pad = What now!!

ChelseysChicken

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2013
North TX
My first hen hatched 4/5 of her first clutch this week. She stopped sitting on #5 yesterday.
The temp are 50-60's here so My concern for little misfit egg is grand.
Iv candled,still an air sack but he respond to little pecks, Iv float tested,Hes a "low floater", Viable and fully developed. I dont have a heat lamp or incubator what I do have is a heating pad and plenty of spare time! If anyone would be willing to help me save little misfit PLEASE chime in. All suggestions welcome and very much appreciated!

Extra Info: I tried putting it back under moma she sat for a bit then moved away from it and never came back.

Iv been misting it every so often for the humidity issue..Not sure bout this but its the best I could come up with.

Ok so I found a few threads similar to mine. Iv now placed a warm wet rag under a dry rag in a tiny crock pot and placed misfit in there... with the lid on.
hu.gif

Wish I could help with some ideas.
sad.png
How are you making out? Hopefully the egg hatches really soon.
Ok So the crock pot had PERFECT humidity but did end up getting a little too warm. Luckily I caught it in time and then moved little misfit to my bra.
ep.gif
I know, but it kept the temp perfect. Then when I decided the bra method was not going to work for my bedtime. Its dark in the coop so I moved it back under momma since she probably wont move for the night. Then if she leaves him tomorrow It will probably be another day of insanity.Unless I can get myself to take the advice of those who say its been too long,somethings probably wrong with it anyway,let it go.

You could do the bra method again tomorrow and then there's no stress. It's the right heat and you'll know if it's moving inside to be assured or to let it go by end of day.

With any luck it's still good and will hatch tonight under the hen.

Ok So the crock pot had PERFECT humidity but did end up getting a little too warm. Luckily I caught it in time and then moved little misfit to my bra.
ep.gif
I know, but it kept the temp perfect. Then when I decided the bra method was not going to work for my bedtime. Its dark in the coop so I moved it back under momma since she probably wont move for the night. Then if she leaves him tomorrow It will probably be another day of insanity.Unless I can get myself to take the advice of those who say its been too long,somethings probably wrong with it anyway,let it go.
Thats a great idea :) Hopefully tonight is the night the little one hatches. Mommas seems to know if somethings wrong.

Since misfit is at the end of the line time wise, continue w whatever you're doing to keep him at near 99 deg.

For future endeavors, you can build a hillbilly incubator for under 10$ with a small 5-7G styrofoam cooler and a 20w candelabra light pack & bulb. Cooler can be had at the mini mart or dollar store and the bulb set from the hardware store or Amazon if you're in the middle of nowhere. Install bulb halfway up the wall on the narrow end. Duct tape around base on outside to hold in place and air tighten. Place a small dish of water near bulb to humidify. You can invert the cooler top so it stays in place. Place the egg in a coiled up washcloth, towel, or handful of old poly fill pillow stuffing near the middle of the cooler. Turn egg as needed.

You can poke a thermometer through the side of the cooler for temp or drop your outdoor digital temp gauge in there if you have one of those windowsill weather stations. Just be sure temp gauges are shaded from direct bulb light or else the reading will be falsely high.

Good kid project for next to nothing.

Since misfit is at the end of the line time wise, continue w whatever you're doing to keep him at near 99 deg.

For future endeavors, you can build a hillbilly incubator for under 10$ with a small 5-7G styrofoam cooler and a 20w candelabra light pack & bulb. Cooler can be had at the mini mart or dollar store and the bulb set from the hardware store or Amazon if you're in the middle of nowhere. Install bulb halfway up the wall on the narrow end. Duct tape around base on outside to hold in place and air tighten. Place a small dish of water near bulb to humidify. You can invert the cooler top so it stays in place. Place the egg in a coiled up washcloth, towel, or handful of old poly fill pillow stuffing near the middle of the cooler. Turn egg as needed.

You can poke a thermometer through the side of the cooler for temp or drop your outdoor digital temp gauge in there if you have one of those windowsill weather stations. Just be sure temp gauges are shaded from direct bulb light or else the reading will be falsely high.

Good kid project for next to nothing.
WONDERFUL info thanks so much! Misfit hatched this morning and Moma has excepted him
big_smile.png
Had to play surrogate for a day but its worth it!

Back
Top Bottom