I have a new baby!

Kfults

Songster
Jun 12, 2018
Southwest Louisiana
christmas day my very first broody hatched 4 eggs! Immediately I had another broody- so out of six eggs one one was fertile on day 7.... so I removed the 5 and left the one and hoped that it would hatch so Momma wouldn’t have sat for nothing. Tonight was day 21, went to peak under momma to see if we had pipped ( she was out and off the nest today and I had to catch her and put her back in broody cage with door shut) well, when I peaked- a sweet tiny face was looking back completely hatched alert and almost dry! I know some have hatched a ton, but seeing that sweet little face looking back is just an amazing moment for this noobie! I think I am gonna get addicted to the broody-momma hatching! My other momma is doing such a great job too!

christmas day my very first broody hatched 4 eggs! Immediately I had another broody- so out of six eggs one one was fertile on day 7.... so I removed the 5 and left the one and hoped that it would hatch so Momma wouldn’t have sat for nothing. Tonight was day 21, went to peak under momma to see if we had pipped ( she was out and off the nest today and I had to catch her and put her back in broody cage with door shut) well, when I peaked- a sweet tiny face was looking back completely hatched alert and almost dry! I know some have hatched a ton, but seeing that sweet little face looking back is just an amazing moment for this noobie! I think I am gonna get addicted to the broody-momma hatching! My other momma is doing such a great job too!

LOL that's awesome! Seeing those tiny "newbies to the group" lil' faces is indeed really cool! It's too nice that you have 2 broody's and could "re-distribute" the "workload" a little.

And yes, it is addictive a little. I'm on my 3rd round of hatching.

Wife looking at incubator: "what not again? You're obsessing."
Me: "Obsessing with creating life? Better than the 3 G's*"

*Gambling, Girls, Gone lol..

Jokes aside, there's something super rewarding about hatching. And it's for a reason.

LOL that's awesome! Seeing those tiny "newbies to the group" lil' faces is indeed really cool! It's too nice that you have 2 broody's and could "re-distribute" the "workload" a little.

And yes, it is addictive a little. I'm on my 3rd round of hatching.

Wife looking at incubator: "what not again? You're obsessing."
Me: "Obsessing with creating life? Better than the 3 G's*"

*Gambling, Girls, Gone lol..

Jokes aside, there's something super rewarding about hatching. And it's for a reason.
So far my experiences with broody momma has been wonderful! So much easier than raising them in broody pen! I kept first momma in broody cage with babies and only chick feed/water. After a week she wanted to take them out exploring. They are 3 weeks old and they are everywhere in the hen yard with mom in 30-40 degree temps eating anything and everything momma points out for them! Hardy little things! The flock has excepted them and doesn’t bother them unless they get too close and they get a gentle peck.... lesson learned!
My rooster attempted to kill them and he had to go! He was a meat bird and was not fertilizing the hens anyway and was aggressive to everyone but me- so no big loss. If one of these babies is a rooster- we will raise it up to be the man of the flock! LOL
I had a third broody during this time but broke her- 3 baby momma at once felt like too much! My husband said “ no more hatching” LOL
Addictive yes! I think next broody gets eggs! Chicken math!

So far my experiences with broody momma has been wonderful! So much easier than raising them in broody pen! I kept first momma in broody cage with babies and only chick feed/water. After a week she wanted to take them out exploring. They are 3 weeks old and they are everywhere in the hen yard with mom in 30-40 degree temps eating anything and everything momma points out for them! Hardy little things! The flock has excepted them and doesn’t bother them unless they get too close and they get a gentle peck.... lesson learned!
My rooster attempted to kill them and he had to go! He was a meat bird and was not fertilizing the hens anyway and was aggressive to everyone but me- so no big loss. If one of these babies is a rooster- we will raise it up to be the man of the flock! LOL
I had a third broody during this time but broke her- 3 baby momma at once felt like too much! My husband said “ no more hatching” LOL
Addictive yes! I think next broody gets eggs! Chicken math!

That's awesome, quick word of advice if youngsters go outside the run, hawks are an issue here this time of year, I had one swept away like 10 seconds after I opened the run to let them range. Even when they're inside the run, I have cyclone fencing and these lil' muffs will pop in and out. But looks like you've got them inside the run. :thumbsup

I haven't had a nasty roos experience with chicks but, yea happens and sucks. Doesn't look like he was the father which could be why; my alpha is a tiny bantam Dutch and he's always good to the girls, in all ways :)

I wouldn't get rid of any "born onsite" roosters. I wacked one during christmas and regret it now that hawks and predators are roaming during the winter. I have another one who's about the same age as the other and he gets along fine with the flock and his "Father" even though he's half Light Brahma and half "Baby Rooster". I think when they grow organically with the "gang" they adjust and find their place.

I have 4 2 weeks old and if any of them turn out as cockerels, keeping them too. No more neck wacking. Sucks too much.

That's awesome, quick word of advice if youngsters go outside the run, hawks are an issue here this time of year, I had one swept away like 10 seconds after I opened the run to let them range. Even when they're inside the run, I have cyclone fencing and these lil' muffs will pop in and out. But looks like you've got them inside the run. :thumbsup

I haven't had a nasty roos experience with chicks but, yea happens and sucks. Doesn't look like he was the father which could be why; my alpha is a tiny bantam Dutch and he's always good to the girls, in all ways :)

I wouldn't get rid of any "born onsite" roosters. I wacked one during christmas and regret it now that hawks and predators are roaming during the winter. I have another one who's about the same age as the other and he gets along fine with the flock and his "Father" even though he's half Light Brahma and half "Baby Rooster". I think when they grow organically with the "gang" they adjust and find their place.

I have 4 2 weeks old and if any of them turn out as cockerels, keeping them too. No more neck wacking. Sucks too much.
My Roo was not the father- he was so big he never made vent contact to fertilize.... Brother n law had friend with fertile eggs ( barn yard mix) 2 of babies look like Cochran’s. Another person gave me eggs and my newest hatch is a leghorn/game/bantam, the mom was leghorn.
My run is 1/2 broadcloth top and sides but my hen yard is chicken wire with electric wire near top and bottom. I have bird netting over the top. They have popped out the chickenwire in a couple little places I don’t have broadcloth skirting ( funny they can find the exact tiny spots) they are almost too big to fit. I have a Tom cat who would make them lunch.... but he got too close to electric wire following me around and doesn’t go near the hen yard anymore ( not even when I am sitting outside)
I am going to patch the tiny places where they can pop out so this new baby and future littles won’t be at risk.

595F48D9-E8B7-4F05-A749-F8583A797C8A.jpeg
1716B291-DA91-466A-AC11-18485E9E2F5C.jpeg
Welcome into the world!

Back
Top Bottom