I have a pip!

I was looking for pics to compare, that's why it took me a bit to reply.
It almost looks like a puncture of sorts. I really have no idea! I'm hoping one of the ladies I tagged are still online! They would have a better idea...:fl
If it's a puncture then it had no vent at all. That and the navel spot are the only openings. It kinda looks like an ?inverted vent? I dont know. It eats and drinks and I have seen it squat and poop but I've had to wipe it because it's is a mess.

Edited to add. No the navel isn't open but u can see where it was.

Baby 4. What am I? Besides needing a shampoo. LOL :gig
Egg shell pic was posted on page 2 along with all possible egg doner breeds.
20180113_232607.jpg
20180113_232621.jpg
20180113_232629.jpg

Hmmm, I don't know either. Maybe it's just not a fully formed vent. If that's the case, there could be a chance of it growing with the chick, so to speak, and eventually form a normal vent. Until then, you may have to keep cleaning...this is all purely speculation.. I'll keep searching too and see if we can figure out until someone who knows pops in. :)

Looks like I have some RIR that lay tan eggs. The pattern on its back is RIR-ish. I have another similar still in the incubator. Also out of a pale shell. And currently hatching one if my darker shell but still not brown.

Mine are mutts too. The daddies were mutts. Mamas were all "pure bred" or at least breed standard.
I have a couple of BO, Marans, AC and AM, the last two I only got at the end of summer, beginning of fall. The rest are mix of who knows what...lol
So I have some crazy colored birds.
Looks like I have some RIR that lay tan eggs. The pattern on its back is RIR-ish. I have another similar still in the incubator. Also out of a pale shell. And currently hatching one if my darker shell but still not brown.
Could be. I'm not sure about it tho..:(

Baby 8 has arrived. I think we finally have one that looked like the daddies. We'll see come morning. This mama hen needs sleep.

The first pip was 2 am Thursday/Friday. First hatch was 3:30 pm Friday. What is the 48 "most should be done" time? I started with 31 eggs, have 8 live babies, 1 died, 1 pip. That leaves 21 eggs status unknown. When do I start checking if there are no new visible pips?

Congrats!! :clap
How's the messy butt doing today? From your pic, I don't think it looks like anything seriously wrong. Maybe a dab of triple antibiotic wouldn't hurt.

I'm not great with mixed breed identification. Will have to look back at your possible combos. :)

Oh...48 hours is usually about normal from first actual hatch to last full hatch. But they can take a little longer. You can candle some that haven't pipped when you pull more chicks.

continued good luck!

Back
Top Bottom