I have a Plymouth Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mr. Doodles…. He is being consistently more challenging me than ever… is this normal? Can it improv

BauerWFarm

Songster
Jul 5, 2022
I have a Barred Rock Rooster, his name is Mr. Doodles. Until the past couple months he has always tolerated my presence, and enjoy my morning visits while I have coffee and update my flock journal… even just casually standing by my side, or sitting next to me…. He would occasionally get testy when I changed my shoes 😂. Other than that nothing serious. People were amazed. Yes he was hand raised and as he grown I would make sure to hold him at least once every 1 to 2 weeks…. I left for a tended amount of time during the Holidays and they were remained in their coop/run total of ten with plenty room, etc….. and I had them checked on regularly.

Since then he regularly challenges me, and we now have had more than a few encounters 🤦🏼‍♀️. Doodles is a year old now as well…. Will behavior worsen? Change back and forth? I need help…. Everyone wants me to rehome or cull him…. I have been his advocate up till now… and I’m really not sure he is that great of a rooster to his flock.

Are the roosters in breed more aggressive?? Should I opt for a more docile breed? Or just have no Rooster at all?? Not particularly wanting chicks… but I do know of one broody Speckled sussex so far. I consider myself still new to this but have gone a year with my flock now.

Help or advice is GREATLY appreciated!
Thank you!

Hello. Can you be more specific about how he’s challenging you? Why do you wonder if he’s a good rooster?
It use to be just instant glaring at my feet (different shoes) with the flared crown feathers…. Then it turned into flogging… had a good couple welts but was humane in how I felt with him… I usually just defend myself by pushing him back in the chest with the ball of my foot….. that happened in January and now he will either try attacking when my back is turned…. Walk around very fluffed mostly because he is mating with the hens… and has tried flaring his crown to attack me even thru the fencing of the pen while I’m on the other side cleaning the coop. When I method to defend myself quit being effective and I stead of waiting for him to make the move i would have enough and run to him push him on the ground, each time he got up id do it again… and this last time grabbed his body and kind tossed him away from me… that was yesterday… and it seemed to work…. Lol…. At night I’m able to hold him, check him, etc…. He is fine. Before all this I did even do the swaying method… idk if you have seen it but it worked like magic with him. I believe it only worked if your Rooster is accustomed to handling, which mine is

Hello. Can you be more specific about how he’s challenging you? Why do you wonder if he’s a good rooster?
As far as a good Rooster he doesn’t seem to do much in terms of protecting the flock…. He has his top hens and those are the only time you get a reaction out of him. I’ve also been finding marks on his comb and feathers in the run… making me question if the a hen is pecking on him some. I love my Mr. Doodles, he is beautiful bird. He aggressive with strangers obviously. However, my relationship with him has always been very smooth until now… I make sure to keep an eye on him now everytime I go in the yard. And flogging has gotten me several times… I have hens with mating wounds and have read it’s time to groom the claws, and the spur that is developing…. I say spur because one incident he really managed to break a blood vessel and had welts… a week later the entire keratin covering just fell off…. It was weird

Last edited:
As far as a good Rooster he doesn’t seem to do much in terms of protecting the flock…. He has his top hens and those are the only time you get a reaction out of him. I’ve also been finding marks on his comb and feathers in the run… making me question if the a hen is pecking on him some. I love my Mr. Doodles, he is beautiful bird. He aggressive with strangers obviously. However, my relationship with him has always been very smooth until now… I make sure to keep an eye on him now everytime I go in the yard. And flogging has gotten me several times… I have hens with mating wounds and have read it’s time to groom the claws, and the spur that is developing…. I say spur because one incident he really managed to break a blood vessel and had welts… a week later the entire keratin covering just fell off…. It was weird
All roosters have their favorites so he’s normal in that regard. You may not have a lot for him to defend his girls from, which is a good thing! Roosters don’t necessarily fight predators, but they do keep an eye out and sound an alarm when one is spotted, giving everyone a chance to hide, which is truly their best option. What he is doing is protecting them from you, he likely sees you as competition. My sons rooster occasionally feels his oats and goes after the boy. My son just puts a foot up and shoves him back/launches him about six feet and it’s over for a while. Spring is when this happens most often, otherwise the rooster is pretty chill. I’ve had a rooster that became more dangerous with time and had to go to freezer camp. Your roo may mellow with age, he may not. Ultimately it’s your choice. If you have young kids don’t let them out there with him.

Picking up a rooster, carrying a stick to whack him with, etc are not solutions. It doesn’t matter if you carry him or hold him, he’s trying to keep you from his girls. That’s his natural instinct, he needs to spread his genes and doesn’t understand you’re not interested in doing the same. Especially if you also pick up the girls, hand feed them, etc. If you’re not hatching eggs you don’t need a rooster and the best option may be to rehome or put in the cook pot.

The injuries to the backs are normal, a saddle will help that. Your flock really shouldn’t need much in the way of nail trims if they’re outside. Spurs may need trimming if they grow long to prevent injury.

Best of luck to you and your roo. It’s a tough decision, but don’t make it because you think he’s bad, he’s really not. He’s normal, he’s still young, and his hormones are raging right now.

All roosters have their favorites so he’s normal in that regard. You may not have a lot for him to defend his girls from, which is a good thing! Roosters don’t necessarily fight predators, but they do keep an eye out and sound an alarm when one is spotted, giving everyone a chance to hide, which is truly their best option. What he is doing is protecting them from you, he likely sees you as competition. My sons rooster occasionally feels his oats and goes after the boy. My son just puts a foot up and shoves him back/launches him about six feet and it’s over for a while. Spring is when this happens most often, otherwise the rooster is pretty chill. I’ve had a rooster that became more dangerous with time and had to go to freezer camp. Your roo may mellow with age, he may not. Ultimately it’s your choice. If you have young kids don’t let them out there with him.

Picking up a rooster, carrying a stick to whack him with, etc are not solutions. It doesn’t matter if you carry him or hold him, he’s trying to keep you from his girls. That’s his natural instinct, he needs to spread his genes and doesn’t understand you’re not interested in doing the same. Especially if you also pick up the girls, hand feed them, etc. If you’re not hatching eggs you don’t need a rooster and the best option may be to rehome or put in the cook pot.

The injuries to the backs are normal, a saddle will help that. Your flock really shouldn’t need much in the way of nail trims if they’re outside. Spurs may need trimming if they grow long to prevent injury.

Best of luck to you and your roo. It’s a tough decision, but don’t make it because you think he’s bad, he’s really not. He’s normal, he’s still young, and his hormones are raging right now.
Thanks for the advice…. He has always been very chill with me…. I read somewhere I given a place in their pecking order by the rooster…. Idk if that is necessarily true…. But his attitude towards me has reached dangerous levels and it all started when I returned from a long trip (my first time to even leave them in someone else’s care). The person I had helping knows birds… but also uses them for dual purpose…. And yes will run all over the Rooster if he shows aggression…. Probably didn’t help my situation 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️. It is a hard decision for me… he is a beauty. The constant attacks and especially when I get the welts or some breaking the skin are NOT okay…. And prevent me from caring the hens…. Which some of them have enjoy my company and love talking to me…. I wanted him for protection for the flock…. He was an accidental pullet male, but my calmest chick from the bunch…. So I kept him.

I have a variety flock so chicks aren’t necessarily something I’m wanting unless I want to mix Brahma or Speckled Sussex with Barred Rock 🤔. Not sure i want mixed breeds. Mine are all heritage breeds.

Appreciate the replies and conversation a lot

Attachments

• 2AF042F8-C959-4C19-A281-21AA41284540.jpeg
    2AF042F8-C959-4C19-A281-21AA41284540.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • C4528BAC-268F-4970-8B0A-671655AF9A3F.jpeg
    C4528BAC-268F-4970-8B0A-671655AF9A3F.jpeg
    970 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Thanks for the advice…. He has always been very chill with me…. I read somewhere I given a place in their pecking order by the rooster…. Idk if that is necessarily true…. But his attitude towards me has reached dangerous levels and it all started when I returned from a long trip (my first time to even leave them in someone else’s care). The person I had helping knows birds… but also uses them for dual purpose…. And yes will run all over the Rooster if he shows aggression…. Probably didn’t help my situation 🙄🤦🏼‍♀️. It is a hard decision for me… he is a beauty. The constant attacks and especially when I get the welts or some breaking the skin are NOT okay…. And prevent me from caring the hens…. Which some of them have enjoy my company and love talking to me…. I wanted him for protection for the flock…. He was an accidental pullet male, but my calmest chick from the bunch…. So I kept him.

I have a variety flock so chicks aren’t necessarily something I’m wanting unless I want to mix Brahma or Speckled Sussex with Barred Rock 🤔. Not sure i want mixed breeds. Mine are all heritage breeds.

Appreciate the replies and conversation a lot
This is an older pic of him… he is fully feathered out now of course

I've never had a Barred Rock rooster that was mean but I have a Black Australorp one that I call El Diablo. I have kept him because like your BR, he is quite handsome. El Diablo has mellowed over the years but I still have to be careful around him.

Sounds like your life and the lives of your flock would be a lot more calm and peaceful without this roo in your flock. Usually when there's no roo, the head hen takes over in watching for predators, sounding alarms, etc., so I don't know that you'd be giving up much if you rehomed him, especially since you don't want chicks.

Don't let this rooster take away your joy in chickens. Always solve for peace in the flock.

The first time a roo draws blood on me will be his last. Based on the injury history you've shared, I think you've passed the point where training is doing any good. He's making your yard an unsafe place for you and others - I would not be okay with that.

Back
Top Bottom