I have a question about breeding silkies...

Cluck-a-biddy

Chirping
May 27, 2016
Lower Sierras NorCal
I'm really new to chickens. Just got my 10 birdies in April and May, all from the local feed store. They get their chicks from Belt Hatchery in CA. I lucked out and got only one rooster outta the bunch. He just happens to be one of the white silkies. I got twos of all the breeds I got, so now I guess I have a pair of white silkies. We're not supposed to have roosters in our town. But I've had neighbors who had a rooster a few yrs ago. I loved hearing him. He crowed all different times of the day. Well, I dunno if my neighbors around me now will object to hearing my little guy or not. He was pretty darn loud this morning. He first crowed a couple days ago, but only a few times and not very loud. Didn't hear him yesterday, but that doesn't mean he didn't crow! This morning... OMG! The little bugger belted out a whole string of very loud "er-er-ers!" just before 7am. If I can get away with keeping him... I would love for him and the female to have some babies! But my question is.... Are the silkies color specific? I mean will the two white ones only have white babies? Or might they have mixed? I'm sure it's a dumb question... and I would assume they'll all be white. But on the off-chance they could have other colors that would be so cool! (Belt Hatchery apparently only has black and white silkies.)

In Silkies, White X White will only produce White. Though White crossed with any non-White bird the offspring would be extremely unpredictable.

Ok I was pretty sure that was the case, but was kinda hoping for some mixed ones. May not even be able to keep him anyway....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom