I have a question about my golden.

Quote:
Good for you.

Quote:
This has been attempted with many avicultural groups, but failed miserably. There are few studbooks, but too few galliforme aviculturists care to participate. Several years ago, I spent a fortune trying to assemble an avicultural plan similar to what we use in zoos. We would have an online database that aviculturists can pull from and try to maintain pure species. It blew up in my face and was quite embarrassing. A lot of it had to with comments like Mahonri and what you say a couple of paragraphs down.

Perhaps we will have an influx of a younger generation that will be aware of habitat destruction, be aware of extinctions, be more scientific orientated, and will want to pursue a project like this. If we don't, kiss many more captive galliformes good-bye.

Quote:
Too few people care, see above. I'd love it if this could happen, I've been doing it for years and know of a select few who also do it. I'd love it if keeping wild galliformes was regulated and we were forced to keep records, would weed out a lot of bad apples.

Quote:
Sometimes it would be better for me to just throw my hands up and say to hell with it folks, they are your birds, do what you want!! However, I worry about the future of wild galliformes in captivity. I've spent the majority of live fighting for responsible aviculture of wild galliformes and not planning to stop anytime soon. When dealing with these birds, an attitude of "breed what you want" is careless. How many zoos out there are breeding Chimps to Bonobos? None. There are probably fewer Golden Pheasants than there are Chimps, yet it is ok to breed them with whatever?!

Quote:
A good breeder has to start somewhere. This forum is wildly popular and no question, the Golden Pheasant is going to garner a great deal of attention. A newbie isn't going to know how to find good breeders (a term I hate btw, what makes a good a breeder? a person who breeds a lot of birds or someone who breeds a small number but keeps them in natural environs and provides quality care & diet?). They may eventually find some pure birds, but in the meantime, (not knowing what they have) they are breeding their birds and they are out in the "market" to pollute the bloodlines.

Quote:
I'm not going to deny that there was subspecies bred (and even pure species) to create the domestic strains of Coturnix. I would love someone take the challenge and do some DNA work on skins of wild birds v. captive birds to see what/how they came about. Coturnix are pretty far gone to the domestication side of things and are almost not relevant in the realm of aviculture. However, should a pure race of Coturnix cotunix ever be imported into the US, I would hope that it would be kept seperated from the domestic stock of Coturnix and bred as a wild species.

Regarding the work with crossing Coturnix with Button, I would consult some of Johnsgard work and also some journals before attempting. I've seen, but can't think of it right off hand, of some results in attempting this.

Not to burden the point about captive galliformes and mis-management, but I can list nearly 100 species and subspecies of galliformes that once existed in American aviculture, but are now extinct in our aviaries. Too few people care to take the time to study the natural history of these birds: the descriptions of subspecies, their evolutionary lineage, natural diets, habitats, breeding habits, etc. They are kept as if domestic poultry and bred like they will never disappear (yes, there is bad thing in breeding too much, particularly with a wild species, managed breeding is best).

Enjoy the debate, no ill intentions.

Dan

Quote:
Here's a section of the intro of http://www.gbwf.org/pheasants/index.html

Pheasants
have long been avicultural subjects. Egyptian pharaohs kept peafowl and Alexander the Great brought them to Greece some 2,500 years ago. It is reported that George Washington even kept Golden Pheasants at Mount Vernon. Their adaptability to aviculture is important in their survival. One species, the Edward's Pheasant, was once believed to be extinct in the jungles of Vietnam, but there were sustainable populations in aviaries and re-introduction programs are now in place. The Cheer Pheasant from Pakistan and Swinhoe's Pheasant from Taiwan are two species who have benefited from re-introductions of captive-bred birds. However, pheasants have also been one of the most mismanaged family of birds in captivity and the need for profit in American aviculture has lead to a number of hybrids, inbreeding issues, mutations and complete disappearances of species and subspecies. While mass production has been promoted in America for years, we must now realize that this is not an effective conservation tool and we need to establish a conservation breeding approach or we will lose these species.

What I haven't added yet is a statement about where these pheasants may never be imported from the natural range (either there are none left or the ban thanks to the panic of bird flu) again and that we have to work with what we have here or in European aviaries.

We are dealing with a natural, wild species, not a man-made domestic breed. You can do what you want with your birds, but it is not responsible aviculture to breed hybrids of pure species. I don't care if the bird is made of pure gold, doing so is risky in case the offspring make their way out to the general breeding pool. Yes this bird is pretty, but his origins are unknown. I get harped over on speaking out on this on all different bird forums, but will never waiver this stance and will always encourage responsible and a conservation approach to pheasant, quail, francolin (ALL wild species for that matter) aviculture.

Once pure species are gone, they are gone forever. When a pure breed is gone, you can always "create" another that is similar to the one that is gone. Think about it, how many Passenger Pigeon-like doves do we see in aviculture?

Dan

Point I was making was a change in color from a mutation doesnt mean its a hybrid. OK species not breeds.

Understand not breeding hybrids, like in case of the Java peafowl. Some spaulding with high % of green blood are being sold as Javas. Spaulding are the hybrid of peafowl.

Quote:
Good for you.

Quote:
This has been attempted with many avicultural groups, but failed miserably. There are few studbooks, but too few galliforme aviculturists care to participate. Several years ago, I spent a fortune trying to assemble an avicultural plan similar to what we use in zoos. We would have an online database that aviculturists can pull from and try to maintain pure species. It blew up in my face and was quite embarrassing. A lot of it had to with comments like Mahonri and what you say a couple of paragraphs down.

Perhaps we will have an influx of a younger generation that will be aware of habitat destruction, be aware of extinctions, be more scientific orientated, and will want to pursue a project like this. If we don't, kiss many more captive galliformes good-bye.

Quote:
Too few people care, see above. I'd love it if this could happen, I've been doing it for years and know of a select few who also do it. I'd love it if keeping wild galliformes was regulated and we were forced to keep records, would weed out a lot of bad apples.

Quote:
Sometimes it would be better for me to just throw my hands up and say to hell with it folks, they are your birds, do what you want!! However, I worry about the future of wild galliformes in captivity. I've spent the majority of live fighting for responsible aviculture of wild galliformes and not planning to stop anytime soon. When dealing with these birds, an attitude of "breed what you want" is careless. How many zoos out there are breeding Chimps to Bonobos? None. There are probably fewer Golden Pheasants than there are Chimps, yet it is ok to breed them with whatever?!

Quote:
A good breeder has to start somewhere. This forum is wildly popular and no question, the Golden Pheasant is going to garner a great deal of attention. A newbie isn't going to know how to find good breeders (a term I hate btw, what makes a good a breeder? a person who breeds a lot of birds or someone who breeds a small number but keeps them in natural environs and provides quality care & diet?). They may eventually find some pure birds, but in the meantime, (not knowing what they have) they are breeding their birds and they are out in the "market" to pollute the bloodlines.

Quote:
I'm not going to deny that there was subspecies bred (and even pure species) to create the domestic strains of Coturnix. I would love someone take the challenge and do some DNA work on skins of wild birds v. captive birds to see what/how they came about. Coturnix are pretty far gone to the domestication side of things and are almost not relevant in the realm of aviculture. However, should a pure race of Coturnix cotunix ever be imported into the US, I would hope that it would be kept seperated from the domestic stock of Coturnix and bred as a wild species.

Regarding the work with crossing Coturnix with Button, I would consult some of Johnsgard work and also some journals before attempting. I've seen, but can't think of it right off hand, of some results in attempting this.

Not to burden the point about captive galliformes and mis-management, but I can list nearly 100 species and subspecies of galliformes that once existed in American aviculture, but are now extinct in our aviaries. Too few people care to take the time to study the natural history of these birds: the descriptions of subspecies, their evolutionary lineage, natural diets, habitats, breeding habits, etc. They are kept as if domestic poultry and bred like they will never disappear (yes, there is bad thing in breeding too much, particularly with a wild species, managed breeding is best).

Enjoy the debate, no ill intentions.

Dan

Dan deffinatly no ill intentions from me either towards you I completely respect your concern. I completely see where you're coming from too.

What I meant about "good breeders" is breeders who raise their birds with their health and well being in mind, those who research before they get them in the first place, those who seek out the "well known good breeders" in their fancied species or breed. With the internet today it's not all that hard to sit down for an hour or so and find who's the one in a particular species or breed that has what you're looking for. So to me, a novice breeder who wants to mean well in the first place is one that would before hand discuss their goals with other breeders (like you who are IMO a good breeder) and who can reccomend them to other breeders who they can trust to get pure strains from. To me a newbie starting out who just breeds a golden bought from this farm and this golden bought from this farm and breeding them together with the intentions of breeding to keep the strain pure are already doing it wrong. I hope that makes sense.
smile.png

That is why I say about keeping a database with information, if breeders want to keep thier birds pure like I said they need to make a club, anything simliar to such, and keep in contact with eachother, keep lines on paper, and eventually more deeper research will be possible. It sounds like you've tried that and it upsets me that it didn't work, I hope you will consider it again, and make others realize if they want to change the problem, they need to step up and keep the strains pure themselves, those who want to fight to keep them pure need to do more than just keep breeding pure themselves, they need to keep records,....I can't stress it enough how much this would change things....then eventually birds that aren't "papered" can be considered mutts, and there will be no worry of hybridization. To me "bloodlines" are nothing if you don't document. I grew up with my mom raising purebrd dogs, then me showing purebred rabbits, and even though people can STILL lie on paper, most wouldnt think of it as it's pointless in the long run. A database for any species or breed of bird would have to be vast, and it would be a HUGE undertaking for just one person, so I could only see it working if it was a large group effort. But I really do believe that that would help. It wouldnt no longer be a guess "is this bird pure or not?" it would be "this bird is from the lines of "****" and also goes back to "*****". It is a shame that "There are few studbooks, but too few galliforme aviculturists care to participate." all I can say is how dare they? If they are passionate about keeping their beloved species pure...then do something more about it than just breeding pure....education.....AND documentation are the key.

When I got into birds after rabbits, it confused the heck out of me that unless a breeder makes a color their own that people can obviously ID (like A & M university of texas did of the A & M coturnix) that people have no clue where this bird or that bird came from. I think it's critical no matter what species, or breed, that they should be kept papered. I am dedicated to doing that for my own birds and I hope to start a trend with other coturnix and button quail breeders....it would make genetics a lot easier on people (color genetics including for people like me who are facinated with it). I already have documented information on each of my birds, and am selectively breeding them for particular traits (mostly color and size but also temperment). Just as you are very dedicated to spreading the word about keeping species pure, I am dedicated to letting people know the importance of keeping records....a "famous' breeder only has so much memory, and once they fade from this earth their predicessors may not have known everything that they did, and information gets lost. Ofcourse papers would also help avoid too much inbreeding which would in turn weaken the strain. Iknow you know all of these things or you wouldnt have attempted what I am whining about
smile.png
. I am just saying that it puzzles me why people dont do it it would benifit not only the birds but them. I hear all this stress about the Americana (sp?) chickens that are mixed with EEs and then the confusion and let downs of realizeing they aren't a pure this or that....and it would be so simple to change that, make pedigrees to show proof....most people have names for their aviaries, farms, some even have websites, why not also type or write up and document each birds generations?

As for if someone imports pure coturnix into America...I completely agree with you. I don't know if that would be something i'd be interested in doing now, but maybe some day i'd be interested in that if the opportunity came to me. It would be interesting to see the differences I know will be there between my birds and the true pure strains.

I wil try to see if I can find this info that you speak of about button x coturnix. I only want to breed them as an experiement, and theres no way in heck i'd let the hybrids (if it happens) fall into bad hands (aka, people who may breed them and sell them off as pures of this or that). I'm glad you agree coturnix are very domesticated as compaired to their wild counter parts as that's been my theory all along Buttons are more "wild" than them it seems.

Again I VERY Much so respect your oppinons and wealth of knowledge, I guess we can agree to disagree on the fact that i see nothing wrong with people breeding their pet goldens together or hybridizating as long as they own up to what they are doing. What they do on their land shouldnt be a problem,and wouldnt upset pure breeders so much if the pure breeders made some extra effort to ban together and DOCUMENT lol. Then good breeders would be known for their beautiful strains and it would just make things wonderful.....would be a lot less stress too
smile.png
Least in my day dreamla la land perfect world it would
smile.png

Thanks everyone for your input. My goal was not to get into a discussion about me breeding this guy but just to find out a little info. about him. I didn't know if his coloring was because he is young, sun bleached as one person has said or, if he was a cross/ hybrid. I truly have no intentions of breeding him. I don't know enough about pheasants TO breed them. I did however finally find him some girls only because I did not like the fact that he was in a pen all by himself.

Thank you all for the compliments about my boy. Maybe I'm just biased but I happen to think that he is beautiful as well.

Back
Top Bottom