I have a question about my turkey's leg

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Bullet, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    It is about 1-2 months roughly. it has the right feed and vitamins. It started with a little limp, and has progressed to a bigger limp and it's leg is seems to be turning in towards the other leg. any ideas?

2. briana1975

briana1975 Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I do not know, but maybe someone else will post that knows more than me.

3. What type of turkey is it? BB or heritage

Steve in NC

4. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    It's a standard bronze

5. The commercial turkey growers around here call them "cowboys". The feet turn in and get bowlegged. It can be from nutrinional problems, sickness etc. Here is a link that explains some, it's mainly written for meat birds but the same problems can occur with heritage birds.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/ep113.pdf

Steve in NC

6. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    Thank you for the info

Niccole

7. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    I read the info, but from your own knowledge about things like this do you think I should let him live? We noticed it a few weeks ago. He seems to be able to walk on it okay sometimes but he has been falling alot lately.

8. Bullet

Bullet Songster

Jan 14, 2009
    Mt. Pleasant
    One other question for you, I know your not supposed to do it, but my turkey is kept with chickens. Do you think it could be a sign of blackhead?

9. We had a BBW a few years ago that had that problem and it made it to eating size. It wouldn't have lasted much longer though when, we processed it the chest was semi caved in.

It's a hard call to make on the decision to put them down or not. We cull any with defects or issues. If it's a pet or you are raising it to eat and it can get around and have some quaility of life then there is no reason to cull at this point. If it can get around to eat and drink then I would cull.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: