I have a question regarding the wording changes in posts

I read your post several times and still miss the part where things got "uncivil"in many oft he posts i saw getting shut down and censored....also, sorry, i'm not trying to be rude, just very frustrated with the way things are run. That's all. I DO appreciate the fact that this thread is still open, though i'm not sure how many people come in here... I guess that's kinda the point, eh?

The posts were not "censored" they were edited to remove flaming, name calling, profanity and things against the rules. Usually the offenders are sent PMs. And sometimes it is too much work to bother and the thread is removed permanently. And sometimes it is locked.

And moderation is not up for public discussion, though we don't mind answering questions to a point.

If you need further clarification, any of the moderators would be glad to help you via private message.

Hey everyone, thanks for the discussion. A few comments and thoughts:

1) The "bad word censoring" is put in place based on a bunch of subjective words we decided to censor. This list isn't perfect and will probably be revised from time to time. Bottom line: We put words in there which are most frequently complained about by our members.

2) When it comes to our general rules and censoring please note: Within our staff we have over 50 years of combined experience working with this community. We intimately know what does and doesn't work and these points have been proven and validated time and time again over the past almost 10 years the site has been around. We're not perfect, and are always listening to feedback and suggestions, but for the most part I know what we're doing is working and working really well.

Remember, our priority is to make BYC the best, friendliest, and most accessible place in the Universe to get information and help related to chickens. With the help of the almost 18,000 members, we've been able to do this!
woot.gif

Please understand that we support and encourage a plethora of other non-chicken discussions as long as our members remain civil, friendly, and otherwise obey the rules.

So, pull up a chair and enjoy yourself!

just chiming in with a thought...

Every time I read the commonly used "LMAO", I can't help but say the intended words in my head, even though I don't want to. It can be unpleasant.

This particular abbreviation is used most often by the youngest members of the forum.

Quote:
This message board is someone's property. Someone pays for it, and as such, gets to set the rules. You're a guest on that property like all the rest of us members. It's kind of like visiting someone's house; you may not like all of your host's rules, and you may act differently when you are on your own, but you have to follow them if you choose to be their guest.

Quote:
You've recognized that, which is good. The majority of us do try to be supportive of one another here. Politics and other topics become divisive, and when those threads reach the point of being polarizing, the mods shut them down. We're supposed to be trying to be inclusive and accepting of everyone's thoughts, up to a point -- when including everyone's ideas crosses the line from people feeling accepted and welcome to people feeling trashed, divided and alienated.

Quote:
I'm assuming because in the prayer threads, people are being supportive, not argumentative or rude. If you notice, people in the prayer threads are praying for the OPs in many different religious ways, from Christianity to Wicca. Threads aren't closed just because they are on a topic that has the *potential* to be controversial.

Quote:
I think the mods here are experienced enough to know when a thread is about to go off the deep end, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shut threads down early for that reason. Sometimes, they delete stuff that we don't ever get to see.

Quote:
Maybe you just need to take a break from the political threads for a while, or debate with your favorite forum opponents via PMs. You've only been a member here for a couple months; relax and try to get to know people, including the mods and Nifty. You'll realize, after a while, that the people running this place have the community's best interests at heart (if you don't believe me, I'm sure a lot of people can point out several message boards where there is *no* community so you can compare...and the community aspect of *this* place is what makes people love it).

See you around the forum!

Creativity. My little granddaughter Ava has me using the term "dookiebird", for when she goes, well, you-know-what on the potty.

A decent substitute for what this thread started out talking about.

wink.png

Think happy thoughts! An acronym is only as offensive as you believe it to be.

LMAO -- Laughing My Appendage Off

Note: An appendage is an external body part, or natural prolongation, that protrudes from an organism's body, such as a vertebrate's limbs.

Back
Top Bottom