I have chicken anxiety?

While it is perfectly ok to be sad at the loss of a pet for a while, and to want to do things to prevent any further losses, that level of anxiety (months later, feeling antsy and HAVING to check on them/spend a certain amount of time with them) does not sound exactly “normal”:hugs. Do you find you have anxiety issues in other areas of your life as well? Have you talked to your health care provider about this issue?
I also agree that providing a secure run for them and only letting them out to roam when it suits YOU may alleviate some of your anxiety.
I do have anxiety outside of this. And thankfully visit a therapist as well. I thought it was silly to bring this up with my therapist, but since it's affecting me so heavily I guess I should. Hopefully within this month we can build the secure run. We've got our hands full building a tiny house at the moment. But that run is first in line afterward!

I do have anxiety outside of this. And thankfully visit a therapist as well. I thought it was silly to bring this up with my therapist, but since it's affecting me so heavily I guess I should. Hopefully within this month we can build the secure run. We've got our hands full building a tiny house at the moment. But that run is first in line afterward!
Ok, good! Yes bring it up with your therapist, there is nothing too “silly” to discuss with them. That’s what they’re there for. Looking for your own solutions to help lessen your anxiety on your own is a good thing, but keep utilizing them as needed. Don’t toy with your mental health, too many people don’t take it seriously and there is no need for people to suffer needlessly.:hugs
Congratulations on building the tiny house! That’s awesome. Good luck on getting it all finished, building a tiny house is a BIG accomplishment!

I wish you all the best with the therapy. Stress is debilitating, nobody should have to live with it. :hugs

What I've noticed in myself, and in some others with anxiety issues, is when my anxiety is high I tend to obsess about things. And when bad things happen to my chickens, my anxieties worsen and I obsess about them. Sounds silly, but my chickens have taught me a lot about myself and my insecurities. In the beginning, I worried about EVERYTHING to the point I was so stressed that I considered abandoning the hobby altogether. In reality, what I was doing was judging/punishing myself because I failed to save the ones that passed. I still get anxious about them sometimes, but not nearly as bad. Try to appreciate the time you have with them, and remember that bad things will inevitably happen and sometimes there is nothing we can do about it. It took quite a few losses to feel the way I do now. I still get sad when they die (even cry), but I'm able to move on a lot more quickly. You'll harden up over time. :) I'm sorry for your loss.
I have the very same anxiety. We have a couple backyard hens and I’m constantly worried about them, checking on them, etc. I’ve treated their bumble foot, mites, sour crops, you name it. Through that caretaking I’ve become very attached. I absolutely have what most folks would consider an unhealthy attachment to them. But they’ve brought me so much joy too! I’m a high functioning adult but these chickens are my cryptomite lol. I’m so sorry for your loss. There’s no doubt your a wonderful momma to you flock. Just know you’re not alone!

What I've noticed in myself, and in some others with anxiety issues, is when my anxiety is high I tend to obsess about things. And when bad things happen to my chickens, my anxieties worsen and I obsess about them. Sounds silly, but my chickens have taught me a lot about myself and my insecurities. In the beginning, I worried about EVERYTHING to the point I was so stressed that I considered abandoning the hobby altogether. In reality, what I was doing was judging/punishing myself because I failed to save the ones that passed. I still get anxious about them sometimes, but not nearly as bad. Try to appreciate the time you have with them, and remember that bad things will inevitably happen and sometimes there is nothing we can do about it. It took quite a few losses to feel the way I do now. I still get sad when they die (even cry), but I'm able to move on a lot more quickly. You'll harden up over time. :) I'm sorry for your loss.
I’m a new chicken mom of 4 chickens. This is my first ever time taking care of them and I have so much anxiety for them. I know that they’ll will be fine when I leave them alone and take extra care of them, but there’s this voice in the back of my mind that I should just quit now because I don’t have the full knowledge of taking care of them. It’s currently 2:30am and I can’t sleep because I keep think something might happen to them. Reading this comment really helped me reassure that everything is going okay and disasters happen all the time. Thank you ♥️

Back
Top Bottom