1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I have come to the conclusion that I hate pigs.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lothiriel, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Doesn't matter what kind, how big, nothing. I hate pigs. They can be the cutest things in the world, but I hate pigs. I hate our pigs. I never want to have pigs again. I hate pigs. Every pig, any pig, all pigs in the world. I hate pigs.

Guess I've made my point. Should I explain? I suppose so.

Today our 2 pigs were supposed to go to the butcher. But they put up such an ENORMOUS FUSS about getting in Daddy's pickup that by the time they were in, it was way past the closing time. So, then we had to figure out a way to close the tailgate. That alone took at least an hour. And once they were in, they wouldn't stop pushing the tailgate and the cap, even with cable ties on both. And now, pigs put off so much body heat that it's like a furnace in there, and we're afraid they're going to die of heatstroke before 6 AM, the latest possible time to get them in. We tried calling some local folks who have livestock trailers, but 1 can't, 1 is closed, and the third didn't answer the phone.

Repeat: I hate pigs.

ETA -- Oh yeah, and we all have many, many bruises and cuts and scrapes from our nearly 3 hour failed attempt at getting them to the butcher. The pigs nearly broke my hand, my arm and my mom's arm, nearly ran away millions of times.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  2. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    sorry to say but i think its a sign!! They are not ready.. or so they think:D

3. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Yeah well, they were supposed to go in a long time ago, but indirectly got wormer in their systems. So if we wait any longer they'll be tough and nothing but fat. I am sick of them.

4. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I agree. Aren't these the same pigs that ate the eggs after the chickens were wormed and you had to wait a little while before them getting butchered? Ugh... and now this. I don't know. But I also think its a sign. These pigs don't belong at the butcher. [​IMG]

5. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    [​IMG] Very tasty creatures these are.
    Hose em down in there to cool them off & if necessary, put a fan on them too. That will keep them nice & cool til morning. Don't be a hater...just imagine how good they will taste this time tomorrow [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    They dont want to die...

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    [​IMG] Pigs sure can be fun to load, no?

It's harder to load a few pigs than a herd of pigs. Did you try the ramp & grain-trail method? [​IMG]

Hope you can keep them cooled down overnight.

8. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Haha... yeah... tons of fun...

Yeah, we did the ramp and the food trail. We brought them down to the driveway in hog panels bent into teardrops -- a method we read about in a library book -- and had their meal in their feed dishes in the truck, with a trail leading in. Let's suffice it to say... it didn't work. But at least they're in. Man... pigs make the world's most horrifyingly loud noises! My dog Ginger was very upset and kept running around us making sure we were okay. Such a good dog...

The weather cooled off with some rain, and they've calmed down now. Let's just hope they don't bust the tailgate on the road in the morning!

I'm very sore. x_x

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I hate pigs but I love their bacon! Used to have them and want NO part of them anymore. Not in my lifetime!

10. Lothiriel

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Exactly how I feel!! I can hardly wait for those pork chops and the bacon and the ham steaks... We're getting some sausage, and having some ham and bacon smoked too. [​IMG] If only they didn't have to be such blockheads sometimes!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by