I HAVE FRIZZLED SILKIES! now if I just understood the different types

Here is a "Frazzle" aka "Curly". She is a frizzle cochin mom x frizzle Barred Rock Dad. I call her "Bantam"
smile.png

16448_friz112509.jpg

She's very healthy and happy but you can see by looking at her wing feathers how brittle - like they are. The ends have started to shed the little edges. Her feathers feel like a tight perm. I like how she looks. Another good thing about her is that every chick she has will have a copy of the frizzle gene since it's two copies of it that cause a Frazzle
smile.png

Tammie

Quote:
frow.gif
spotplus.
She is a cutie.
I am thinking on maybe working with frizzle x frizzle xsilkie to see what comes out.

smile.png
That should be interesting!
smile.png

Quote:
OK- I have to know why a Smooth sizzle is called that instead of 'Smooth Silkie' since it has all Silkie traits excepting silkied feathering, why is there any 'izzle' in the name at all? I think that's the one term that throws me, because outside of the Sizzle project and context, wouldn't that bird be called a smooth Silkie?

So corn-fused...

Quote:
OK- I have to know why a Smooth sizzle is called that instead of 'Smooth Silkie' since it has all Silkie traits excepting silkied feathering, why is there any 'izzle' in the name at all? I think that's the one term that throws me, because outside of the Sizzle project and context, wouldn't that bird be called a smooth Silkie?

So corn-fused...

Well, by definition and standards, a silkie must have silkied feathers. It is a defining breed characteristic.

The working standard for sizzles inclues both frizzled and smooth varieties (as they are needed to prevent curlies).

Oh, goodness...it's that thing again...where a purebred bird can be disenfranchised because it lacks a characteristic...

I always forget about that because it's selectively used. You can have a purebred Silkie with poor melanising (or however that ought to be phrased) that doesn't have black skin...you can have a purebred Marans that doesn't lay #4 eggs, or a purebred Purple-Footed Wombat-Crested Highkick Bundy that fails to hold its neck at the right angle, and they are pure of gene but may or may not be called their breed because of the standard...Yet in many cases, non-standards are called non-standards or 'pet-quality.'

I can never get it straight what the criteria are for kicking the bird out of its breed or just calling it off-par!

barnie.gif

Two silkies bred together will ALWAYS have silkie feathered offspring. You have to outcross to a non-silkie feathered chicken to have non-silkied offspring.

Two silkies that each meet all the standards can have offspring that do not meet the standards in comb type or colour, skin colour or number of toes. In this case, what happened is that at the parents were heterozygous for the trait that is missing in the chicks. All of these traits are dominant or incompletely dominant, meaning that with even a single copy present, the trait expresses. If both parents are heterozygous, a percentage of their chicks will inherit the recessive allele from each parent and thus not show the trait.

Does anyone have pics of a Frizzled Polish X Silkie Cross??? What would you call it??? I'm strating to breed mine and was wondering what their babies might look like??? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom