I have got some questions about two of my hens

aurimilky

Songster
6 Years
Aug 17, 2016
I have got some questions about two of my hens

The first of my hens is white. She is not laying eggs and is very friendly. Would she possibly be broody ?

My second hen is laying eggs fine, but for the some weeks now she seem to have her head near her body and is fluffed up all of the time.

I have wormed all my hens, my second hen looked fine for over 2 weeks, then she went back to look sick again. Before I wormed all of my hens, she was moving very slowly.

Any idea what is going on ?

I'll add some photos later.

I had two of this breed of hen, but one of them die this year in March.

Both of these hens are over 2 years old.

I don't know what is wrong with your second hen, you should probably post in the emergencies/diseases forum. Your white hen doesn't look broody, do you know her age and breed?

I don't know what is wrong with your second hen, you should probably post in the emergencies/diseases forum.

Okay will do.

Your white hen doesn't look broody, do you know her age and breed?

She is over two years old. She was given to my family, with two other hens by a friend, that got them from a farm that was giving them a way for free.

Check the vents to see if they are egg bound.

The black hen seems to be laying eggs fine each day, as I got one egg from her a day. The white hen hasn't layed any egg from when I got her at all.

Tail feather down is generally a sign of illness. How are their crop's? Is it empty first thing in the morning? Does she move her neck around or just keep it there? She/they could have an impacted crop or sour crop. You would notice a very sour smell from her beak. Are they eating? Try putting some electrolytes with vitamins and probiotics in their water. Sorry to hear that you hare having issues. I hope you find some answers. If it comes down to it try and find a vet that handles chickens. They can also do a fecal float test to rule out worms.

What is their hydration system. Over heated dehydrated birds will drop quickly.

If you mean water, they have a freshwater container box that they drink from. That I have to fill up for them, same time, as it is big a container box. I'm also adding a auto drinking system in their run, ones my mum puts in the water to her horse stables, as the chicken coop and chicken run is next to it.

Tail feather down is generally a sign of illness. How are their crop's?

If you mean food they are feed on chicken chicken pellets vegetables food scraps from the house,

Is it empty first thing in the morning?

She move very slowly in the morning and for the rest of the day.

Does she move her neck around or just keep it there?

Most of the time she keeps it in, but some times she eats some food, when she just puts her head back in.

She/they could have an impacted crop or sour crop.

I'm not should what that is ?

You would notice a very sour smell from her beak.

I haven't smelled any nasty smells come from her beak. She did have a cold some weeks a go. I'll check that later, when the sun comes out.

Are they eating?

The white hen is eating fine and the black hen don't seem to be eating a lot of food.

Try putting some electrolytes with vitamins and probiotics in their water.

I was given them Verm-X Liquid in their water. I'll talk to my mum about that, as she buy the food for them.

Sorry to hear that you hare having issues.

Thanks

I hope you find some answers.

Me too

If it comes down to it try and find a vet that handles chickens. They can also do a fecal float test to rule out worms.

I'd have to ask my mum about that.

Back
Top Bottom