I have lost 10 chickens in 4 years

Pics
Pretty sure all but one, one that is currently on antibiotics, lay. And they don't have very thick shells.
Roosters don’t lay. It’s strange that you’re getting thin shells while feeding oyster shell. (I feed flock raiser and oyster shell and I can’t drop an egg on the grass without it cracking.)

Last edited:
Roosters don’t lay. It’s strange that you’re getting thin shells while feeding oyster shell. (I feed flock raider and oyster shell and I can’t drop an egg on the grass without it cracking.)
I realize roosters don't lay. Even the chicken that eats tons of oyster shells lays thin shelled eggs. Her eggs have little calcium deposits all over them.

So, if I were to feed all flock what would I use? I can get kalmbach from chewy in 16% or 20% protein. Or I can get naturewise from tractor supply.
I have a chicken that had pendulous crop. Half of her crop died off and was sewn back together. She lays continously soft shelled eggs. I feed her calcium supplements and it doesn't seem to do any good. She's fussy with food and won't eat eggshells or oyster shells I put in with her food.

So, if I were to feed all flock what would I use? I can get kalmbach from chewy in 16% or 20% protein. Or I can get naturewise from tractor supply.
I have a chicken that had pendulous crop. Half of her crop died off and was sewn back together. She lays continously soft shelled eggs. I feed her calcium supplements and it doesn't seem to do any good. She's fussy with food and won't eat eggshells or oyster shells I put in with her food.

Your vet might be able to give her a calcium shot periodically that might help, but I'd try feeding her a little yogurt every day and see if the calcium in that helps.

Since you already use chewy try this.Sneaky calcium
You mix it into the feed so they can't be picky.
You can also use calcium drops in the water, the sort for reptiles work but they do have drops labeled for birds as well.:)
205566_main._AC_SL400_V1579285984_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom