I have no idea what I am doing

Long story short. A Mallard had a nest in a neighbors garden. The chicks hatched on Friday May 12th and momma took her little ones and left one egg in the nest. Me neighbor watched all night into the next day and she did not return so I took the egg in after it sat out nearly 12 hours in about 45 degree weather and rain. By some miracle I shines a light in there and I saw something move. I quickly made an incubator out of a cardboard box, some towels and a heating pad and placed my little egg in there. Thankfully I found so much information on this site and did tuns of reading and tweaked my sad excuse for an incubator by adding wet paper towels to create humidity. I must admit I was not very hopeful at all it would survive beyond a day or so but here I am 10 days later and this baby has internally pipped and was chirping as of yesterday morning (Sunday May 21st) After reading of everything that can go wrong even when using a proper incubator I was crazy to say the least and made an pin sized hole in the shell in the air sac so it could breath because I could not breath myself I was so scared when I hear that chirping coming from inside. Now I can feel the baby banging around inside but so far it has not broken the shell that I can see. It seems to be almost 12 hours since it pipped internally and I am at a loss as to what I should do. I know I should do nothing at this point but please some advice. I know nothing about any of this all I know is that I am already in love with this amazing little creature and need some help as to next steps
No expert here but everything you did sounds about right and i know things i seen online said up to 48 hours then start to worry. Let nature run its course just keep a close eye on it and if you see any sign of distress then help it along. But so far i think youre doing great being a foster mommy for the baby. Its very lucky you guys found it.

No expert here but everything you did sounds about right and i know things i seen online said up to 48 hours then start to worry. Let nature run its course just keep a close eye on it and if you see any sign of distress then help it along. But so far i think youre doing great being a foster mommy for the baby. Its very lucky you guys found it.
Hello there. What you read was posted two years ago. That little baby’s name is lucky and she is just perfect. You should read the the store. Many refer to it a the best novel they have read in years lol. I have to say so myself it’s pretty amazing. Thank you.

Here's a question for ya, if a duck lays an egg in the lake, it won't float, so she loses an egg forever, or ducks can't lay eggs in the water? I really don't know the answer to this Q. Any response would be appreciated.

One of my pheasants lays all her eggs in the water bowl. At least it makes them easy to find and they still hatch fine :bow

Runner ducklings
AB62C73B-2BCE-4331-A506-1A62D335FE78.jpeg

Happy Easter to you too? What are your thoughts on the fertilizer question?
Hi Steve, I'm new here but I may have some insight on this topic. I have 3 juveniles that we are keeping as pets. The story of how we got ducks is in thread "
I keep asking myself. How did this happen? The cost of ducks"
To get back on topic, I let our ducks free range in the yard all day and last week I went out and called for them when I didn't see them in their pool. All three came squeezing out of the garden shed. As I hadn't closed the door all the way. One of the Pekins had gotten into something that left black all over her face. Good thing it wasn't oil and washed right off. One or more of them tore open a bag of chemical fertilizer and ate it. Maybe they thought it would be good grit. Well it has been a week and there has been no ill effects so far.

I know this was asked moths ago, but I am just now catching up with your story.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom