I have received advice I will be going to vet tomorrow

bridget123

Songster
7 Years
Apr 23, 2016
Hi I have a broody farvolle who is currently sitting in hatch day today
I noticed a awful smell coming from her and she just looks really sick in the face.. I decided to just lift her tail feathers up to make sure her bottom looked good well to my horror it is leaking and looking so bad down there! ..
I don't know what has happened she is in a cat carrier in my kitchen and has been since she decided she wanted baby's.. she has left the nest basically daily..
I don't have a rooster and the other chickens only see her when she goes outside for a little run a bath while she has been doing her broody thing .. I'm extremely worried It is also nightime now 9pm so I can't just get up and go I also don't get paid from work until tomorrow..

Attachments

• IMG_20231113_200718.jpg
    IMG_20231113_200718.jpg
    580.1 KB · Views: 63
I have got advice from a Facebook group my concerns have been answered I will be going to vet tomorrow

Is she awake and alert? Can you offer water and some mushy wet chicken feed? It looks like her vent area is brown from being pecked, and possibly from having a prolapsed vent. Are there any maggots moving around on it? That is caused when flies lay eggs on the poopy area. I would immediately place her in a warm soapy bath just up to her vent area, to sit in for about 15 minutes. If there are maggots, they will fall off, but all need to be removed. If there are no maggots, that is good. Rinse her with warm water, then dry her well with a towel. Apply some ointment or honey to her vent area where it is discolored. Vaseline, antibiotic ointment, cortisone cream, honey are all good ones. Her soak should be redone at least once a day, or more if there are maggots. Keep her separated inside the house in a cool spot. A wire dog crate on a clean towel is good. Let us know what you find.

Hi she is actually inside in a cat carrier
I wiped her vent down there was some blood no maggots or anything like that and I applied antiseptic cream
She is awake alert and a normal angry broody you can see she is sick in her eyes though she has also lost alot of weight when I felt her but she has been getting off her nest I'm going to offer some high protein foods thismorning and ring my vet for advice

I noticed a awful smell coming from her
I think Eggcessive is right, but the really bad smell can also be sign of vent gleet, whilst that doesn't look like it. I would do everything suggested but to be on the safe side, get her on some probiotics as that will help her regardless. We use unsweetened Greek yogurt, fermented grain and/or Hydro Hen as only source of water. You could also make her some scrambled eggs with a little honey and bananas in them which would be a good probiotic. If in a pinch, ACV w/mother, 1TBS/gallon every other day at most, and have fresh water available.

You may find that giving her a daily shallow warm soak to her vent daily, that will help in healing. She may have been pecked, especially if others wanted her out of the nest box. I would make sure that she is eating and drinking. Offer some wet chicken feed, egg. Check to see if her crop is emptying by early morning. She needs to be broken from her broody spell.

She seen the vet she had a little infection and is feeling alot better with her medication i got her two week old chicks because her eggs just didn't seem to be hatching she became so obsessed with the two adopted baby's she decided to leave her nest!!
Well .. I continued to keep heat on her baby's and two hatched I had to buy a whole brooder set up she doesn't want anything to do with them.. honestly I will never let her hatch baby's again lol it's been a disaster!!

The new baby's and the mother with her adopted baby's.. I mean atleast she is healthy and happy now that is the main thing

Attachments

• IMG_20231117_093211.jpg
    IMG_20231117_093211.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231116_165605.jpg
    IMG_20231116_165605.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20231117_052710.jpg
    IMG_20231117_052710.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom