I have this chicken whose wings are severely damaged and sometimes can be bloody, i have never seen any mites on her.

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your hen is having trouble! Her eye are not only swollen they're goopy with white stuff in the corner which is strong indicator she may be having respiratory/sinus distress as well. :hmm

Her feathers look indeed like they are suffering from a need to molt partly due to stated age and standard wear.. and the bloody wings and bright red chest but other skin that doesn't look angry.. seems maybe on par with self mutilation from over preening.. or if DE is used it may be damaging feather quality and drying out adding skin condition.. the skin is the largest protective organ of the body.. and she's showing clear signs of weakness.. just commentary, not pointing any fingers or ugliness intended. I could be mistaken and learn new things every day, but that doesn't line up with any bullying pattern I've seen SO far.

Molting can take up to 4 months depending on genetics, nutrition, and other factors unknown to me. Some will be much faster and others much slower. It can be VERY hard on a bird and their immune system.. I see them withdrawal and entire demeanor change during molt.. BEFORE switching to flock raiser feed full time with oyster shell on the side for active layers. Since making the switch my older gals enter molt softer and return to lay sooner with more nutrients on board and more nutrients going into the eggs my family eats. Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.. noting not all are crated equal and some of those amino acids must be derived from animal sources they are added in synthetically to our formulated (mostly vegetarian) rations.

I also want to note that some mites are NOT visible to the naked eye.. such as depluming and scaly leg mites. Others don't live on the bird and only come out to feed at night, making that the best time to do inspections using a flash light!

My final thought about why one bird could be more effected than others and it could still be nutritional or parasite related.. genetic strength matters.. survival of the fittest and the strongest will be effected less.. the weakest link will be the first to go down.. and when something gets foothold makes it easier for other things to mount stronger attacks.. and sometimes creates the perfect storm against an individual while other appear to thrive under the same exact environmental conditions.

How do the feathers right by her vent look?

Separation in sight is a good idea IF the damage is being caused by someone else. I'm not convinced it is.

Are you able to consider a veterinary visit? What is being fed including treats and supplements? Do you know when her last egg was?

:fl

@sammyrookerson
Isolate the bullied hen. I don't suggest pinless peepers, especially as you don't know who the bully it and could end up targeting the wrong hen.
She cannot grow back feathers if she's pecked so much..... alone, they will grow back, but make sure she is not lonely.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom