I have to cull my flock.... ***UPDATE*** :)

IB can be confirmed with an elisa test. You can either send a swab or blood sample in to get results.

IB does not pass through the egg, but infected birds can shed the virus for many months in poo. So there should be no spreading of the disease as long as you only hatch or sell clean eggs. You can sanitize the eggs before setting them.

I'm so sorry to hear you're going through this! Do the vet check before hand and make sure, please!
hugs.gif

So sorry to hear of this problem.
hugs.gif

If IB is confirmed, might there be someone you know who is interested in having a backyard flock of pet chickens but who does not need to or plan to sell eggs?
JJ

I did contact the state vet 2 weeks ago, and they told me to go to a private vet. I made an appointment with an Avian Vet and took one of my chickens in. After looking her over and charging me $50 he told me I needed to talk to the state vet. So I am totally getting the run around. I am going to contact me State Vet tomorrow and find out about having a necroscopy done, and I will also find out about the test that Jean mentioned.

I had thought about finding someone who wanted a backyard flock, but was concerned about infected birds getting around others. I don't know if that is an issue or not. I will have to investigate further.

It doesn't sound like either of those vets are very good examples of their professions. Typical, though. I'm really sorry you are having to go through such a tough time. It only makes it worse to have to depend on people that do as little as possible at their jobs.

For them -
smack.gif

For you - :aww

Back
Top Bottom