I have to shed two roos. Please help decide?

11 hens and even one rooster in a 10 x 30 run, . . . Yeesh. I guess I'll never get used to the fact that most people do house chickens in runs like that.

No, no! It's not that!
smile.png

I just mean that to each their own, I personally would rather my chickens be out on a fenced acre 24/7 or at least in a bigger run, but that's my opinion. Most people do it your way.

I just meant that it isn't a set-up I'd have, but, that doesn't make it bad.

Atomic Ranch,

Don't worry about it. My impression is that this person thinks your run is too small. I don't. I free range my 8 chickens on a city lot, had a rooster too, and they do just fine. And, before I got a dog run built to keep them safe, their run was smaller than yours. Again, they did just fine.

big_smile.png

In my opinion, if you are interested in dual purpose at all, the leghorn would be a bad choice, too light bodied.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
But I seriously can't tell if they think I'm being cruel to them by keeping them in. I really just wanted to know about the cockerels. I suspect that I'll have to re-home two.

No, you aren't, don't worry. They will be fine, I do think you should rehome two boys though. The decision is tough, but if you want future chicks, I'd boot the Leghorn first.

Quote:
x2 I would keep the BO, but I'm partial. He may step up to the plate just fine with the other 2 gone.
Also, did you say you were leaving them all out tonight?!
ep.gif
I would let them out during the day, with supervision, rather than at night...hope they're ok!

Back
Top Bottom