I have to talk POLISH!

I make it dark with minimal lighting by food and water. It this works really well and after a few weeks you can increase the light. Or you can increase the space and have space for stuff to hide.

I make it dark with minimal lighting by food and water. It this works really well and after a few weeks you can increase the light. Or you can increase the space and have space for stuff to hide.

Okay, but if not with a light, do you provide alternate heating? I will see if I can add some hiding spots, hmmmm.

Red heat lamps can help prevent picking, but my brooder traps heat since it has a low head space so they really don't require supplemental heat. I am trying to figure out if I can use heat tape for water lines to add some supplemental heat.

I have some White Crested Black Polish chicks that are 3 to 4 weeks old. For some reason they are pecking three of the six in the back of the crest bald! They look like little Friar Tucks, oh my! I put some Blue Kote on there in an effort to dissuade the plucking. My son didn't know I had done that and looked into the brooder, and was like, "MOM! They are turning purple now!" LOL Anyway, they finished off the bottom of two of the crests, so they just have tiaras now. Ive heard that they can peck at each other, but how do I get it to stop?
Unfortunately, crests are an attractive nuisance. I use red lights and still have issues. "No pick" from Rooster Booster works well to deter picking, but it has to be applied every other day. Unfortunately, you need to keep applying until crest is fully grown in because the Stubble feathers are even more attractive then full feathers. I would also check the chicks back right above tail. It its head is getting plucked, its likely its back is too.

OK I recently got 25 polish chicks by accident (hatchery sent me the wrong order!) and at first I thought "how on earth am I going to find someone to take 25 chicks?!" BUT after scrolling through this whole thread I'm thinking "how on earth am I going to build a pen big enough for my 25 gorgeous feather tops?!" I've never seen polish hens in real life and I've been all about production up until now, but after seeing all your pictures I don't think I could bare to give away a single one! I'm a converted polish fan!

OK I recently got 25 polish chicks by accident (hatchery sent me the wrong order!) and at first I thought "how on earth am I going to find someone to take 25 chicks?!" BUT after scrolling through this whole thread I'm thinking "how on earth am I going to build a pen big enough for my 25 gorgeous feather tops?!" I've never seen polish hens in real life and I've been all about production up until now, but after seeing all your pictures I don't think I could bare to give away a single one! I'm a converted polish fan!
Once you have them you are hooked! I love mine!! They are so curious and silly that they keep me smiling
smile.png
What more could you ask for?
highfive.gif

I just had to pull 3 Polish out of the brooder with that they were in with Silkies because one of the poor things has a balds spot on the back of its head. I was about to move them into a brooder with bigger chicks because they are about 3 times the size of the Silkies and bantam they where with, but now they ate in a small brooder with Polish exclusively in it. How long will this bullying last? If I hadn't saw it I would have never believed a Silkie would torment a Polish.

hit.gif

I just had to pull 3 Polish out of the brooder with that they were in with Silkies because one of the poor things has a balds spot on the back of its head. I was about to move them into a brooder with bigger chicks because they are about 3 times the size of the Silkies and bantam they where with, but now they ate in a small brooder with Polish exclusively in it. How long will this bullying last? If I hadn't saw it I would have never believed a Silkie would torment a Polish.
My Polish rooster is a real wimp ! I had a Polish hen that picked his feathers, she was culled because of a wry tail. Now he gets raped by my Silkie rooster. The Silkie is now in isolation. He has never had the chance to be a good rooster but I like him because he is calm and not flighty as other Polish roosters that I have had. I am hoping to nurture him to be a good rooster by keeping him with a few bantam hens including a beautiful WCB hen. Right now he is painted purple. Strange part is that both roosters grew up together as chicks and this rotten behavior just started. I am appalled
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom