I just found a stray chicken!! 😍

Pics

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
A little backstory. I just had to have my Pearl White Leghorn (5 years old) put down. She wasn't doing well and I didn't think anything could be done. She was bad off. (Yes, she's the one in my avatar 😞). Her name was Daisy. Anyways, I was out doing chores this evening and spotted a white bird in one of the trees lining the enclosure. I thought it was one of our young turkeys at first but soon realized it wasn't! I was super excited when I saw it was not only a pullet, but also a Pearl White Leghorn!!!! 🤗😍 It was hard to catch her bc she kept flying up higher but I finally did. I offered food and water but she was too preoccupied to take it. She seems healthy although very skinny and dirty. Her comb is pretty pale. She looks to be about 7-8 weeks old. Yay!! A little gift from Heaven ❤️ p.s. I did text all the neighbors just in case but no one has replied yet.

A little backstory. I just had to have my Pearl White Leghorn (5 years old) put down. She wasn't doing well and I didn't think anything could be done. She was bad off. (Yes, she's the one in my avatar 😞). Her name was Daisy. Anyways, I was out doing chores this evening and spotted a white bird in one of the trees lining the enclosure. I thought it was one of our young turkeys at first but soon realized it wasn't! I was super excited when I saw it was not only a pullet, but also a Pearl White Leghorn!!!! 🤗😍 It was hard to catch her bc she kept flying up higher but I finally did. I offered food and water but she was too preoccupied to take it. She seems healthy although very skinny and dirty. Her comb is pretty pale. She looks to be about 7-8 weeks old. Yay!! A little gift from Heaven ❤ p.s. I did text all the neighbors just in case but no one has replied yet.
I'm so sorry about your hen! That is amazing though that you seem to have been given another!

A little backstory. I just had to have my Pearl White Leghorn (5 years old) put down. She wasn't doing well and I didn't think anything could be done. She was bad off. (Yes, she's the one in my avatar 😞). Her name was Daisy. Anyways, I was out doing chores this evening and spotted a white bird in one of the trees lining the enclosure. I thought it was one of our young turkeys at first but soon realized it wasn't! I was super excited when I saw it was not only a pullet, but also a Pearl White Leghorn!!!! 🤗😍 It was hard to catch her bc she kept flying up higher but I finally did. I offered food and water but she was too preoccupied to take it. She seems healthy although very skinny and dirty. Her comb is pretty pale. She looks to be about 7-8 weeks old. Yay!! A little gift from Heaven ❤ p.s. I did text all the neighbors just in case but no one has replied yet.
I lost my Daisy a few years ago. Sge led my wife and daughter on a merry chase through our birch tree once when she was a pullet.

I'm sorry for your loss :hugs , but it seems you have been given a real gift as well.

Here's my Daisy.
20200403_214257.jpg

Awe, she looks identical to my Daisy! So the new baby, name Mira (short for Miracle), escaped the run while we were putting some other chicks in with her and we chased her down for over an hour in a big patch of thistles, water hemlock, and western dock..................NOT fun. My legs are all scraped up, but she's back in the pen. The other chicks are being a little pecky towards her but I'm sure her plucky spirit will come through once she's eaten and gotten a drink. Hope she didn't ingest any of the plant she was running around in! So here's the big question. Did some one dump her in our enclosure or did she fly in herself? The fences are about 10-12 feet high with Russian Olives bordering the Eastern side which is were I found her. Would she be attracted to the other chickens and thus fly in? There was no visible feed out at that late in the evening, my birds had already eaten it. She is SUPER flighty, probably doesn't have the best experience with our species:(

Daisy was super flighty when we got her. It took months for her to calm down. Chickens are not solo animals. Given any choice they prefer to flock. She may just have been drawn by the sounds of the others. Leghorns are real birds. They fly quite well. She could clear that on her own.

I could only speculate why she is running free alone.

Back
Top Bottom