I just fractured an egg shell on day 16. Help! It's oozing..

Andora

Songster
11 Years
Aug 26, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
I was candling an egg and it just...cracked. I don't know why! It has the air cell on the side, but it looks like it's developing fine. The crack is very thin, it's not oozing or anything. (Yet...) I could hardly find it when I turned the lights on. What should I do?? Tape? Candle wax? Or just let it be?

Last edited:
I've read that when you inject eggs with dye to seal it back up with wax... So if I were in your situation I would use wax
smile.png

I have one in the bator that has been fractured for about 4 days...almost dropped it when candling...my eggs are on day 13 ...and so far it is still doing fine...the crack has not gotten any bigger...nor has the chick slowed in any way...it is still developing like the rest...hope this helps...

My first urge was to put electrical tape on it.
idunno.gif
But then I thought that might impede hatching. Poor little chick, it already has the air cell in the wrong spot, and now it has a hairline fracture too...

I put clear tape (like you wrap gifts with) on 2 that I cracked by accident. I always do the wrong thing it seems but both hatched without any problems. I just put enough on there to cover the crack.

I think I will try that. It seems easier than candle wax...I am accident prone, so dripping melted wax on an already delicate egg might cause serious disaster.
lau.gif

Last year the candler rolled off the top of the incubator and smashed into an egg on about day 16. Not only did the egg crack, it was about three quarters of the way around, much like an almost done hatch. The egg hatched. Whenever I had to open the incubator for anything, I misted it very lightly (but my crack was much more significant than yours), and I probably killed half of the other eggs babying this one, but the egg is now a Buckeye rooster.

I didn't tape it last night, I fell asleep. whoops. I just went and checked, and the crack grew and it oozed a bit. What should I do now?? Toss it? I'm afraid it might explode or something. Is there any chance it is still alive? We're on day 17 now...poor chick :-(

Back
Top Bottom