I Just Ordered Geese

I have electrified poultry netting, too, but choose to use it non-electrified because of the entanglement risk (and I have had younger geese get themselves trapped in it - fortunately, they survived). We also have fox, coyotes, and various raptors, though not eagles. Despite the non-electrified netting, we've lost none of the geese to predators to date. They range in their fenced area during daylight hours and are cooped at night.

The hawks (including Red-Tailed and Cooper's), which have killed chickens and even Muscovy ducks, don't seem interested in the geese...am guessing it's a combination of size and numbers that deter. Foxes also steer clear, and coyotes are mostly active at night around here.
I agree.

All good to hear. I can be a little paranoid when it comes to my flock. And my goats, too.

When I first moved out here, I told the neighbor who lives at the end of the road that I had chickens, and he told me. "The coyote are gonna love you!" And I see reports on social media of losses in our area. It has made me jumpy.

ETA: He also had coyote get his daughter's chihuahua about 10 ft from her.

My geese didnt care when a fox stole a duck and when a hawk flew off with a duck those where the worst predators i had to deal with besides peoples roaming dogs that stole my chickens now my birds are penned

My geese didnt care when a fox stole a duck and when a hawk flew off with a duck those where the worst predators i had to deal with besides peoples roaming dogs that stole my chickens now my birds are penned
I'm sorry for your losses... Hawks are a nuisance, but I do love them so. Just wish they'd be magnificent somewhere else, you know what I mean?

I'm not expecting my geese to protect balmy flock, thankfully. I'm just looking at protecting all my birds while still giving the geese enough grass.

I'm sorry for your losses... Hawks are a nuisance, but I do love them so. Just wish they'd be magnificent somewhere else, you know what I mean?

I'm not expecting my geese to protect balmy flock, thankfully. I'm just looking at protecting all my birds while still giving the geese enough grass.
The fox didnt kill that duck as I chased it off just injured her she was a pekin also grabbed a runner and messed up her wing and leg she no longer could fly and walked slower....years later a hawk took that duck

This is great info! We definitely have fox, but I have only seen them out very late/very early in the morning, but they are notorious...

The birds are currently penned and surrounded by electric netting. I let them out when I am home. "Out" consists of a yard surrounded by electric netting and covered with aviary netting.

HOWEVER.... We are building a new coop and yard for them in spring. Then, "out" will be in a 1640 sq ft yard surrounded by electric netting and covered with aviary netting. That yard will be inside of the goat paddock, which is surrounded by electric fencing. That means they will be surrounded by 2 electric fences and 4 goats. I'm hoping that will deter foxes. I might be able to add a donkey, too. Maybe.

Maybe I will take the geese on walks, so that they are supervised. I used to take my chickens out. When I say supervised, I mean that I walk with them, giving them 100% of my attention.
I think you have safety covered. I didn't mean to scare you! Sounds like a great setup. Of course it would be better with a donkey. 🤣 I've had really good luck with the electric netting. I think the two electric fences will deter even the most determined fox.

I'm sure you'll be fine walking and grazing with your geese. I went for years without all the current problems. I have no idea why the predator load became so lethal in the last two years. We even had a mammoth racoon. I've never seen one so huge.

I think you have safety covered. I didn't mean to scare you! Sounds like a great setup. Of course it would be better with a donkey. 🤣 I've had really good luck with the electric netting. I think the two electric fences will deter even the most determined fox.

I'm sure you'll be fine walking and grazing with your geese. I went for years without all the current problems. I have no idea why the predator load became so lethal in the last two years. We even had a mammoth racoon. I've never seen one so huge.
I would SO get a donkey if 1) DH wouldn't have a conniption and 2) if my hosts weren't such divas.

Premier1 poultry netting with the solar battery has changed my life!

We have fox in our area and sneaky hawks. Never a worry now that the electric netting in place. I also have area covered with a 50'x50' bird netting held up in middle by some tall shepherd hooks and connected on edges with reusable zip ties. It is a pain to move and set up in new areas every couple weeks, but soooo worth it.

Even when the neighbor's bumbling labradoodle showed up uninvited, it didn't cause trouble when it discovered new honking toys inside a fence. Jumped away from the fence when its nose was shocked!!! Geese were honking like crazy.

I've lost chickens to hawks and fox, ducks to fox, and geese to dogs in the past. Always tragic and very sad. Solar powered fencing was an expense, but well worth it! Called up Premier1 and their rep made sure I ordered exactly what I needed. Awesome product!

Premier1 poultry netting with the solar battery has changed my life!

We have fox in our area and sneaky hawks. Never a worry now that the electric netting in place. I also have area covered with a 50'x50' bird netting held up in middle by some tall shepherd hooks and connected on edges with reusable zip ties. It is a pain to move and set up in new areas every couple weeks, but soooo worth it.

Even when the neighbor's bumbling labradoodle showed up uninvited, it didn't cause trouble when it discovered new honking toys inside a fence. Jumped away from the fence when its nose was shocked!!! Geese were honking like crazy.

I've lost chickens to hawks and fox, ducks to fox, and geese to dogs in the past. Always tragic and very sad. Solar powered fencing was an expense, but well worth it! Called up Premier1 and their rep made sure I ordered exactly what I needed. Awesome product!
That's pretty much exactly what I use, except battery powered (too many trees for solar). I have a total of 4 electric nets: one for the chickens, 3 for the goats. I have 2 from Premier1, 1 from Rent-a-Coop, and 1 from Starkline. I actually prefer the Starkline.

That said, I'm buying 2 of the Premier1 electric deer netting for my new setup. It's taller, so I will be able to move around under it more easily, and it will keep the deer out of the chicken's plants.

But I agree! It changed my life! That and an automatic chicken door - lol!

Guess what? Auntie is second (or third) guessing herself again! I really am a mess...

I was reading several threads that report that many geese don't get along well with chickens. I was hoping that the 2 females I ordered will be able to live in the big pasture with the chickens and the ducks. If I introduce them as babies (it will be summer, so I can let the goslings out rather young, and I can do the "see but don't touch" thing for a long time, if needed), will they stand a better chance of getting along? They can have their own coop/house, no problem. And I can separate if needed BUT the ducks and geese will have to share the pond.

My ducks and chickens get along very well. I honestly believe my ducks think they are chickens. They hang out together, sunbathe together, eat together, sleep together...

To restate some details:
11 hens (2 bantam, the rest large)
1 rooster (bantam)
5 ducks (all ladies)
1 American Buff and 1 Toulouse (also ladies)
Ducks and chickens will have 10x10 coop
Geese will likely have a large doghouse or similar
1640 sq ft fenced yard
Approx 100 sq ft pond

ETA: I read of folks keeping their geese with their goats. I can do that, too, if the geese don't get along with the chickens. I would rather not have to do that, though. Of course.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom