I just went into lockdown 9/26/09 and nervous

Here they are three dels, two del/partridge rocks, a few del barred rocks and a delaware/black australorp - 11.
poultrysept09005.jpg

Oh earlier hatch - sizzle roo/delaware pullet = barred boys, black girl
chicks9-09001.jpg

Delaware to partridge hen baby
chicks9-09010.jpg

Del/partridge rock in front of baby Del
chicks9-09011.jpg

Hatching is hard work, nap now.
chicks9-09013.jpg

chicks9-09016.jpg

chicks9-09022.jpg

chicks9-09025.jpg

Sorry for the glare hard to shoot into double paned glass with a flash and not get blinded.

Last edited:
Quote:
Goober chick is common if they dry out abruptly, don't worry about it, you can fluff him later. Since you have four more - he is probably early and slow. You are right to just let him rest and sort things out. Many of them make it after a day's rest. Try not to worry to much (like that's going to happen).

At this point it's just warmth and rest and time. Even under a broody crushed eggs make it and they hatch so hang in there.

All mine are out that are going to, so I'm done and very pleased with the antique bator's performance. The eggs that did quit, quit a few days ago, not the incubator's fault. A great run for a first run.

The second one is soooo tiny. His umbilical cord was still attached to him and to his shell. After 3 hours it dried and thinned so I clipped it with no problems. I took a soft toothbrush and gave him a bath in real warm water and now he has fluffed out some. I just do not think it was time for him to hatch. He is half the size of the other chick and his little legs are so thin he cannot walk. He can stand and take 1 or 2 steps and falls down. I will give him a couple of days and if he still cant walk, I will probably just cull him.

On the plus side, we have another pip!!!!!!!! Egg #3 pipped at 9 30 this morning. I raised humidity with a wet sponge and now this afternoon I can see the zip trying to start. I AM NOT helping another chick out of the egg. Chicky #2 was a very humbling experience and mother nature knows best. Still have 3 more eggs in there with no pips yet but one just started to rock some. So I am crossing my fingers.

And your babies are beautiful!!!!! I am going to wait until all hatch and fluff before posting more pics.

Egg #4 just hatched out. Wow that is a big peeper. I am worried about egg #3 still no zip, just a pip. All eggs went into the bator at the same time, why would they be hatching so far apart from each other? A full 24 hours apart and still have 2 eggs showing nothing.

Chicky #2 that was so tiny, tonight is up and walking around and socializing with chicky#1. yeah!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Egg #3 is zipping now and Egg # 5 just now got a pip. Still nothing on Egg #6. Keeping fingers crossed.

Last edited:
What day is day 21? Spread like that is usually a slightly like .3 or .5 degree temp below what the eggs needed or cool spots and no egg rotation through cool and warm regions.

I do look at my thermometers to make sure nothing has gone wrong but I'm shooting for EVERYONE out by the end of 21 days. If that's not happening in a newly set up bator, I dink the temp up half a degree and watch the next hatch. Mine usually go late day 19 and early day 20, with the occassional lagger to 21 but they're rare.

A spread like that indicates cool spots in the incubator you didn't rotate the eggs enough, and/or probably slightly just slightly low temps if you're into 22, 23 or 24 days.

Back
Top Bottom