I know it's early but....Who's ready for 2024 Baby Chicks!

No kidding. Back to the drawing board then. Do you think it's the Welsummer's personality? Or is the Cream Legbar a target with their unique head/comb?
It honestly depends on each bird’s personality. I have an Opal Legbar (the color is like cream but with the lavender gene) and she is the newest head bird and she is the nasty one to everyone. My other Opal Legbar (she has passed) was the most sweet thing ever and was picked on by the (at that time) lead hen.

It really depends on many different factors. I’ve found that sometimes adding a younger pullet that has a crest into a group of adult hens that don’t have crests, can be bad. But if they were raised with other crested, bearded, or feather legged chicks then they are usually more kind to the unique feathered chick.

No kidding. Back to the drawing board then. Do you think it's the Welsummer's personality? Or is the Cream Legbar a target with their unique head/comb?
Funny thing is, no one picks on Minna’s crest (that’s the CL) - only her saddle feathers.
I think it’s Lyd’s personality (Lyd is the Welsummer). But it could just be her. I believe I have read though that Welsummers often can be toward the top of the pecking order.

I’ve found that sometimes adding a younger pullet that has a crest into a group of adult hens that don’t have crests, can be bad. But if they were raised with other crested, bearded, or feather legged chicks then they are usually more kind to the unique feathered chick.
That's a really good point. I'm probably going to have to abandon my Legbar plans.

BABY CHICKS! LET'S GOOOOO!

I'm too nervous to ship through the mail (we're only getting 3), but I'm intending to pick up a Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, and Cream Legbar from the local farm store.
I'm always nervous anytime I have our babies shipped, but we are getting a small batch mailed this time and they always seems to take good care of the small batches in my opinion and they typically come in very healthy.
Good choices by the way!

Back
Top Bottom