I know their mutts, the question is boys or girls.

kopeck

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 16, 2011
I've got a handful of 10 week old birds that I hatched this spring. The father is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, the mothers are a mix of EEs, Welsummers and Barred Rocks.

This is sort of a learning process for me, so I'm going to guess what they are and then you all can tell me I'm wrong. :p

The first obviously has EE roots, pretty much jet black. I think it's a she, smaller body, lighter colored and smaller comb, that and the feathering just looks pullet to me.

DSC04109.JPG

DSC04110.JPG

The next one pretty clearly had a barred rock as a mom. This one I'm pretty sure is a cockerel, the feathering doesn't scream boy to me but it was the first to get some red in it's comb, first with waddles, just looks boyish to me. This is also a very solid bird...

DSC04112.JPG

DSC04129.JPG

I've got a few more I would like to post but I'm going to pace my self and not overwhelm you generous folks! Thanks,

K

I think you are right too.
smile.png

BTW, Golden Laced Wyandotte rooster crossed with Barred Rock hens makes black sexlinks. Males are barred (like the bird pictured) and females are black with red/orange leakage (possibly like pic #2?). In other words, any birds that are barred in color are for sure males, in case this helps.
wink.png

They both look like pullets to me. My BR roo had a huge comb at 4 weeks, much yellower legs, and much more white barring. Yours looks like my BR pullets at that age, they started getting a little tinge of pink in their comb and wattles around 10 weeks.

I'm not an expert, I've just looked at a LOT of pictures on here in determining the sex of my chicks, and yours look girly.

Quote:
You know, something else I forgot, don't male BRs have a large white spot on their head and females a small one? This guy had a larger one, we used to call him eight ball before he feathered out...

Me thinks this one's a male. What's interesting is how stout this bird is, it almost looks like Cornish Cross with barred feathering.

I hope to post a couple more tonight. I'm hoping to catch a couple of what I think are my Welsummers crosses, they're looking very unique, at least to me...

Thanks everyone!

K

Quote:
You know, something else I forgot, don't male BRs have a large white spot on their head and females a small one? This guy had a larger one, we used to call him eight ball before he feathered out...

Me thinks this one's a male. What's interesting is how stout this bird is, it almost looks like Cornish Cross with barred feathering.

I hope to post a couple more tonight. I'm hoping to catch a couple of what I think are my Welsummers crosses, they're looking very unique, at least to me...

Thanks everyone!

K

With purebred Barred Rocks the males tend to have larger messier head spots compared to the females.

In a Black Sexlink cross, such as GLW rooster x BR hens, males will look very similar to Barred Rock chicks, including a white spot on the top of their heads, and later feathering out to black/white barred. Females will be black, with possibly a little white on the wings/underbelly/cheeks, but the tops of their heads will be jet black, and later feathering out to black with red leakage on the neck and breast.

I've raise a lot of dual purpose roosters for butchering and I've found that the Barred Rock cross roosters often grow really big! Must be the hybrid vigour or something, because the purebred Barred Rock roosters I raised were smaller/more slender than the purebred Rhode Island Red roosters I raised that same year (same hatch too).

So I'm a little late...

Here's two more.

DSC04145.JPG

DSC04147.JPG

I think this is a EE and a pullet.

DSC04171.JPG

DSC04173.JPG

This is one of my Welsummer crosses, also a pullet (I think).

Thanks again,

K

Back
Top Bottom