I know this is a stupid question

Birdman

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 27, 2007
Eastern USA
Sorry for even asking it but I can't find the answer anywhere else. Does more than one chicken share a nestbox? If so, how many chickens per box? Thanks for any replies.

Yes they will but not always at the same time, one person on here said she has 12 nest boxes and all her hens use one, lol So guess it will depend on your hens. Probably one nest box per 3/4 hens is the norm???

You might try doing a search put in nest boxes??? HTH

Last edited:
The guy who gave me the eggs in my incubator had 7 or 8 boxes and the hens all used 2 of them. Then a broody hen began sittin on eggs in one of them and the eggs were from all the different birds. kinda neat to get an assortment. A white leghorn sat and hatched them and at least 3 were ameraucanas.

Ok thanks for the information, do the dimensions 18" at the front, 28" at the back, 12" deep, and 14" wide sound right? That's what I read but I just wanted to be sure we were on the same page.

I think that sounds ok, hubby did mine so i am not sure, but check the coops and designs to see and also the EZ board forum has alot of coop stuff in the coops and designs thread. It does not even have to be perfect so dont worry too much.....when they need it i bet they will use whatever you make em.

Last edited:
Quote:
we have 9 chickens and three nesting boxes. they only seem to use two, a few times i found some eggs in the third
idunno.gif

on the dimensions, i have a book on raising a small flock"Hobby Farms Chickens, tending a small scale flock for pleasure and profit by Sue Weaver. in the book she has you can build or use things readily available. for example milk crates, five gallon buckets (you would have to cut out a place for them to get in and out easy)
but our nesting boxes are milk crates. we already had them, so we tried it. it is working great!

Back
Top Bottom