1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I know this is a stupid question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Birdman, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Birdman

Birdman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2007
    Eastern USA
    Sorry for even asking it but I can't find the answer anywhere else. Does more than one chicken share a nestbox? If so, how many chickens per box? Thanks for any replies.

2. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    Yes they will but not always at the same time, one person on here said she has 12 nest boxes and all her hens use one, lol So guess it will depend on your hens. Probably one nest box per 3/4 hens is the norm???

You might try doing a search put in nest boxes??? HTH

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    The guy who gave me the eggs in my incubator had 7 or 8 boxes and the hens all used 2 of them. Then a broody hen began sittin on eggs in one of them and the eggs were from all the different birds. kinda neat to get an assortment. A white leghorn sat and hatched them and at least 3 were ameraucanas.

4. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I think I had read somewhere 5 hens per box, but all my hens seem to use the same box.

5. Birdman

Jun 27, 2007
    Eastern USA
    Ok thanks for the information, do the dimensions 18" at the front, 28" at the back, 12" deep, and 14" wide sound right? That's what I read but I just wanted to be sure we were on the same page.

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think that sounds ok, hubby did mine so i am not sure, but check the coops and designs to see and also the EZ board forum has alot of coop stuff in the coops and designs thread. It does not even have to be perfect so dont worry too much.....when they need it i bet they will use whatever you make em.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2007
  7. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:we have 9 chickens and three nesting boxes. they only seem to use two, a few times i found some eggs in the third [​IMG]
    on the dimensions, i have a book on raising a small flock"Hobby Farms Chickens, tending a small scale flock for pleasure and profit by Sue Weaver. in the book she has you can build or use things readily available. for example milk crates, five gallon buckets (you would have to cut out a place for them to get in and out easy)
    but our nesting boxes are milk crates. we already had them, so we tried it. it is working great!

8. Birdman

Jun 27, 2007
    Eastern USA
    Wendy, thank you so much, you just saved me a days work and some unnecessary lumber costs.
    [​IMG]

9. chicks rule

chicks rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    SW MO
    someone also use the plastic totes from Dollar General or walmart. Also try flea mkts, might find some interesting things there

10. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:your welcome like to help out our fellow byc'ers [​IMG]

are you going to put them up off the floor?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by