I Live on the 11th floor, do chickens have suicidal tendencies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've raised a pair of americana chickens in my back yard previously before so I know about the noise and mess. In San Jose you are allowed 4 hens, no rooster for a residential house. I'll check the local laws for San Diego where I live now.
Laws pertaining to a residential house, and laws pertaining to apartment buildings are two separate things, and they differ on many things. They are not both considered the same. It's highly probable that there will be laws against owning chickens in an apartment, even if you could do so in a residential home. HOWEVER, have the balcony screened in, so the dang things don't fall, and get injured either from the fall, getting run over in the parking lot, or traffic area, or from other animals in the apartment complex. Use good judgement.

Last edited:
The question still remains would a chicken jump off the rail?!

Chickens might be a bit on the unintelligent side in some regards but they still understand life and death....right?!?

Without having them living in such an environment, how would anyone know? If it's legal, try it, and have a backup plan (maybe someone on BYC) that will take the chickens if it doesn't work out.
So let’s experiment with live chickens and see if they jump? We’ll learn so much like will those skinny legs break? Anyone want to be the backup plan for crippled chickens?
No. Uh uh.
Where’s OP? Having a laugh?

Even if you covered the entire balcony with wire, there are still issues. The wind will pick up chips, feathers and poop and fling them everywhere. The smell, especially after rain, can be horrific if it is close to time to clean the coop and run. The noise of egg song can be loud. Where oh where will you dispose of dirty chips/poop? You would have garbage bags full if it is an adequate run.
IDK, but seems too much. I think a quail habitat would be more efficient.

The wind will pick up chips, feathers and poop and fling them everywhere.

CHICKEN POOP-NADO!!!! Definitely the next big Hollywood blockbuster! If snakes on a plane can do it, chickens in a condo tops that!

So let’s experiment with live chickens and see if they jump? We’ll learn so much like will those skinny legs break? Anyone want to be the backup plan for crippled chickens?

Chicken soup? Also, see the WKRP in Cincy post! :D

Where’s OP? Having a laugh?

This is becoming one of my favorite threads! And yes, it does appear that way :D :D

Horizontal Jump off from roost to coop floor is the same distance as the height of the roost.
11 floors high would be how far out horizontally?

You've got a good point. There is plenty of clearance for the roost bar and poop trays and plenty of room for the birds to jump out from the bars without crashing into the wall. Maybe the more important question is now, how big would the poop tray need to be, how far from the wall it needs to be, and what should they put in it!

Sorry, I'm full of it today! :D :D :D

Seriously I don't think anyone would recommend anything unsafe here :)

Last edited:
Hi, I live on the 11th floor, and have a big balcony that I'd like to let my chickens roam freely, If I keep them well fed will they jump over the rail and possibly fall to their death? I don't have any chickens yet, just want to know if it's possible to raise them on a balcony. The railing is probably 4 feet high.
I dont think they will jump, they love to perch. If they are scared of you at first they will try and fly off. but if you put a safe net that is hovering over the balcony that would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom