I locked myself IN!

After reading all the topics I got to the conclusion of preparing an emergency set ( a sandwich, clean underwear, a pair of socks.... ) and leave it inside the coop. Just in case

Hahah! I've done this, too! Luckily there is just enough room for me to slide my fingers through and jimmy the latch!!

Quote:
Or just carry a phone with you so you can call the fire department!
gig.gif

Glad you made it out!

I actually read a post about someone doing this the day before we built the pop doors for our coop. I made sure the doors are big enough to crawl in/out, but the only way I'd get locked in is if someone deliberately locked me in. Then I'd have to climb over the 6' run wall and rip the roof netting.

I've done it too. It wasn't pretty. We've got an escape plan now though.
It's always the ONE TIME you don't have the cell phone in your pocket!
somad.gif

I have done that several times. So I put a string on the inside of all my coops except the new one, and wouldn't you know it, in I walked and it clicked shut behind me. I am usually fairly resourceful, but before I could think my way out of it I heard a snicker behind me. I turned around to see my loving family ( husband, son, and brother-in-law), all pointing their camera phones at me and threatening to show everyone. Needless to say while I love them dearly and I know they love me, mostly for my comic relief, I tend to exhaust all other options before I call for help.

Welcome to the crazy chicken person world.

Lanae

84024_byc_side_coop.jpg
[/img]

a lil hard to see in the pic but ...i rigged up a piece of small rope/twine and tied it to the door latch....ran up the side of the door jamb ...drilled a hole in the coop and ran it inside so you can pull door closed and have it latch....only to be able to pull the cord to unlatch the locking mechanism from the inside....
wink.png
locked myself in by accident while under construction...fixed that problem asap...lol

My kids locked me in, they are 5 and 6, then went to get daddy too shown him, it was funny, I was in there for about 5 minutes, started cleaning acting like I didn't notice, but really, it was funny! Glad you found a twig!

If I got locked in, I would no way be able to get out = Fort Knox hardware cloth top to bottom.

I knew this when designing, so I have added a special clip that blocks the latch from completely closing. I set it when I'm in the run, and it works like a charm
smile.png
I never forget to "set it" because of the horror stories on this site about getting locked in LOL
lau.gif
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom