i love BYC (and some emotional stuff)

kelzey

Songster
Aug 14, 2020
newfoundland and labrador, canada
this doesn’t have much to do with anything in particular but i just wanted to express how great this forum is, i’m really new to it and i’ve only made a few posts but i’ve always felt really welcomed and i’m so glad that i joined. it’s so very nice to have somewhere to go that’s full of people who know what they are doing & could help if i need it, which i certainly do. apart from that, i only recently got into keeping chickens and it has already helped me with my mental health so much. whenever i feel down, i go out with my girls and just sit with them and give them attention and it helps me feel so much better and i just forget about whatever i have going on in that moment. i’ve never realized how much personality they could have, or how smart they are. ever since i got my girls (i’ve only had them a couple months) all i’ve done is think about them, what i could build for them, and the future chickens that i would like to add to my growing flock. all i do is look at videos of chickens on instagram? i think i’m obsessed, and i don’t even really mind. i even started a small garden for them, so that they could have fresh veggies as treats, which i’ve realized that i really enjoy gardening and i absolutely can’t wait until i can plant some more (here in canada it’s getting too cold for anything i believe). i’ve literally spent so much time outside this summer and i’ve had so much motivation for things and i feel so much better about myself. i’m still young (20) but for a while i felt like i was getting nowhere, i still live at home and i don’t have a job. i guess this is just me saying that getting chickens was one of the best things that could have happened to me AND that BYC rocks. thank you for your time and letting me rant a bit p.s. here are some of my favourite pics of my girls and a sunflower that i grew and love

Attachments

• 8F20D389-5E7B-49CB-AE9F-8AE75DA4C23E.jpeg
    8F20D389-5E7B-49CB-AE9F-8AE75DA4C23E.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 016EA75A-497A-43E2-85E7-713705320A43.jpeg
    016EA75A-497A-43E2-85E7-713705320A43.jpeg
    402.2 KB · Views: 3
  • A150421C-7C85-442D-8BA1-D62384E90BD7.jpeg
    A150421C-7C85-442D-8BA1-D62384E90BD7.jpeg
    663.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 114C2D2D-E976-4E89-A62E-DA890F4DC08D.jpeg
    114C2D2D-E976-4E89-A62E-DA890F4DC08D.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 3
  • 4055B040-FCBD-4861-9014-93BEC622CF8A.jpeg
    4055B040-FCBD-4861-9014-93BEC622CF8A.jpeg
    665.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DA6DF46A-F823-4EEF-A7F1-BD49CDDF2519.jpeg
    DA6DF46A-F823-4EEF-A7F1-BD49CDDF2519.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 790AA63D-1559-4A0C-903F-C87531A2F398.jpeg
    790AA63D-1559-4A0C-903F-C87531A2F398.jpeg
    1,022 KB · Views: 3
  • 3A8C380A-9C5B-4343-9ED7-D8AAE5219541.jpeg
    3A8C380A-9C5B-4343-9ED7-D8AAE5219541.jpeg
    641.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 2FA2D59B-D65A-490B-B25A-7E82FC58830C.jpeg
    2FA2D59B-D65A-490B-B25A-7E82FC58830C.jpeg
    504.9 KB · Views: 3
this doesn’t have much to do with anything in particular but i just wanted to express how great this forum is, i’m really new to it and i’ve only made a few posts but i’ve always felt really welcomed and i’m so glad that i joined. it’s so very nice to have somewhere to go that’s full of people who know what they are doing & could help if i need it, which i certainly do. apart from that, i only recently got into keeping chickens and it has already helped me with my mental health so much. whenever i feel down, i go out with my girls and just sit with them and give them attention and it helps me feel so much better and i just forget about whatever i have going on in that moment. i’ve never realized how much personality they could have, or how smart they are. ever since i got my girls (i’ve only had them a couple months) all i’ve done is think about them, what i could build for them, and the future chickens that i would like to add to my growing flock. all i do is look at videos of chickens on instagram? i think i’m obsessed, and i don’t even really mind. i even started a small garden for them, so that they could have fresh veggies as treats, which i’ve realized that i really enjoy gardening and i absolutely can’t wait until i can plant some more (here in canada it’s getting too cold for anything i believe). i’ve literally spent so much time outside this summer and i’ve had so much motivation for things and i feel so much better about myself. i’m still young (20) but for a while i felt like i was getting nowhere, i still live at home and i don’t have a job. i guess this is just me saying that getting chickens was one of the best things that could have happened to me AND that BYC rocks. thank you for your time and letting me rant a bit p.s. here are some of my favourite pics of my girls and a sunflower that i grew and love
WELCOME! I totally understand - I'm (a bit?) older than you, but get the same lift from my biddies ... Chicken TV is THE BEST way to lift your spirits. So is gardening - and it's not too late to plant kale. It tolerates colder temps and grows quickly, especially if you can find started seedlings - and chickens love it! You may end up liking kale, yourself. It's considered a "super-food" as in "really healthy" ... but don't tell that to my people-kids or they'll stop eating it ...

I completely understand and agree with you im the same way my flock is the eye of my mental storm I could just sit and watch them all day they all have different personalities and manurizims the way they walk my husband laughs cause I know all 21 of my roosters crows he says its the weirdest thing ever I have one word of advice keep letting them help you as much as you help them and care for them 😊

WELCOME! I totally understand - I'm (a bit?) older than you, but get the same lift from my biddies ... Chicken TV is THE BEST way to lift your spirits. So is gardening - and it's not too late to plant kale. It tolerates colder temps and grows quickly, especially if you can find started seedlings - and chickens love it! You may end up liking kale, yourself. It's considered a "super-food" as in "really healthy" ... but don't tell that to my people-kids or they'll stop eating it ...
i’ll definitely look into that! thank you so much for the suggestion, i’m always willing to try something new

Back
Top Bottom