I love my baby chicks

Ashleyschicks

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Just brought home 5 baby chicks this week. All laying hens, but 5 different breeds.They are so cute, i could just watch them all day long! They are two days old now and seem to be doing really well
smile.png
They already have little personalities and are so funny!

Barred Plymoth rock is named "Bossy Betty", she is the leader of the pack, and the protector, whenever i put my hand inside the brooder she comes running to try and scare me off, too funny!

Black sex link is "wanda" she is so sweet and cuddly, she loves being held.

Columbian Rock is "Henny" she is very timid

Red Sex Link is "Chili" she is a crazy one, she always just falls over and goes to sleep, or when all the other chicks are sleeping she will run over top of them and wake them up as if she's shouting "HEY GET UP GUYS!!!"
wee.gif

New Hampshire is "Martha" she is just calm cool and collected
cool.png

They do peck at their own feathers a lot, is this just normal cleaning ? Or should i be concerned? They are not pecking at each other, just at their own wings and backs.

I probably sound a bit crazy right ? I can't help it, they are just too funny.

First of all, I'm glad that you are enjoy your new chickens! They are really fun to watch and take care of. And as long as they are not drawing blood or ripping out their own feathers, they are fine. They pick at their back and wings to clean themselves. Totally normal! If they start pecking at each other though, you may be a little concerned. If one chick is bleeding unfortunately the rest may peck it to death. Just look out for them. :)

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a really cute little flock, like all their names! Think you have discovered Chicken Television, you can't stop watching them!
Chicks normally do spend time grooming themselves, so as long as they are not picking at each other or tearing themselves up they are probably fine, if you do see any of them bleeding, you will need to treat it asap since as ohiochicknewbie said, chickens are really attracted to blood and will hurt each other.
You might also like to check out the BYC Learning Center, lots of good articles on all aspects of chicken keeping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Thank you everyone !

No they aren't pecking at each other, or showing any signs of bleeding or unhappiness. So, it must just be grooming. They are very happy and running around everywhere ! I will make sure to keep a watchful eye.

Thanks for your help
smile.png

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, chicks and chickens spend a lot of time preening their feathers. This keeps them in good shape for keeping the bird warm, cool, keeps mites off and for flying of course! They will be molting all that fluff off soon and be doing a lot of preening. The dander will coat everything around the outside of the brooder as it flies too!

Good luck with your new babies! Love the names you have given them too. :)

Welcome to our flock and enjoy your new babies!

Thanks everyone !

I am from Ontario Canada, still pretty cold up here.

One of my chicks (Henny, the columbian rock) has been pecking at the other chicks today, and it seems to be getting worse. Is this a sign she is a rooster ? I have also noticed she (he?) is a little larger than the rest, and also keeps to itself away from the other chicks.

Or maybe is this breed just a little grouchy ?
hmm.png

Sometimes this is the case...the dominant chick is a cockerel. Watch that it doesn't get out of hand. And make sure you have plenty of space in your brooder. 1/2 to 1 square foot per bird for now. More space will calm the aggressions. You can also lower the heat about 3 or 4 degrees and this can calm them down as well. Use a red or infra red bulb as white light is exciting and can cause aggression too.

Back
Top Bottom