I made a..Hen?

Is that an Egg?

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 21, 2018
California
I just bought these two pullets yesterday, and you can definitely tell what their personalities are.
I got a Speckled Sussex and a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.
The Sussex eats all the time, and throws a tantrum when her buddy isn't with her, we named her Dumpling.

The Wyandotte is a quiet little one, she mainly stays in one place and so far doesn't have a name.

The two kept trying to crawl under each other, and I felt a little bad so I tried to mimic what they'd do in the wild (my backyard).

I found an old round pillow and cut it open, it took some time but finally it looks like a hen, sort of.. I didn't have any needles so I used wire, definitely a hack job but hey, it works!! They love it and are always trying to crawl under it. IMG_20180323_211114256.jpg IMG_20180323_210303685.jpg IMG_20180323_205827986.jpg 1521902413564-2110026726.jpg 1521902437570-1902006683.jpg

Many people like to make a 'hen' out of a heating pad on some sort of frame. You do have a heat source, right?

Yep I have a heat lamp. As well as a heating pad but that gets too hot.
It's possible that your brooder is too hot and the "hen" is shielding them from the "red sun". Does your heating pad not have at least three settings on it? I used "high" outdoors in early spring but you may only need "medium" in a house and you'd use only that, no lamp.

It's possible that your brooder is too hot and the "hen" is shielding them from the "red sun". Does your heating pad not have at least three settings on it? I used "high" outdoors in early spring but you may only need "medium" in a house and you'd use only that, no lamp.

The hen is only for night time, which is when they become loud, there is rice in the hen, which you can heat up and it's just like a heating pad.

Try setting up something like this.
DSCN0716.JPG

A heating pad draped over a piece of wire fencing. It mimics a broody hen, satisfying their urge to get underneath and snuggle, while providing the warmth they need.
Heat lamps inside a home tend to give off way too much heat. With the heating pad only, there is no risk of overheating or chilling.

Back
Top Bottom