I made more ventilation in my coop!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by HudsonValleyGirl, Jul 15, 2010.

1. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    I have been doing some research on BYC and in chicken magazines. After doing some reading, I noticed that there was hardly if not no ventilation in my coop. So today I took a circular bit attachment and I made 2 holes on each side where the roof peeks. My dad is coming over with his staple gun and we are going to put some hardwire cloth before the day is done. I think they will feel much better.

2. kfchickenlady

kfchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    N.Calif.
    everyone says on here you cant have too much ventilation in the winter esp, im keeping that in mind!

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I just had my husband make two more huge windows on our coop (on the north and south sides) b/c it has been so horrendously hot.

This ventilation page was a huge help to me in understanding why ventilation is important (and why a few little holes are of no use. Go big!): https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

4. HudsonValleyGirl

HudsonValleyGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2010
    These holes are big. My coop is small

5. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    mine too. how many chickens do you have? that also matters. but with a small coop that should work great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by