I many to make it worth it??

I just boiled the carcasses of two Freedom Rangers that we butchered this week. First I took off the legs, thighs, breasts and wings. Threw the carcasses in a pot, just covered them with water and let them simmer until everything fell apart. I did not add anything to it. I froze my broth. It's surprising how much meat comes off those bones.

Bobbi, I add a Bay leaf, about a dozen peppercorns, rough chopped onion, carrot, and celery, then throw in some herbs, always basil and oregano but occasionally parsley, thyme, garlic, or chives if I feel like it. I use the wings, back, feet, neck,, gizzard, and heart. I know where their feet have been, but if you scald them without over-scalding the toenails and spur twist off and the skin peels off pretty easily. If you over-scald it that skin tears real easily and that becomes a pain to take it off. That gets the feet clean enough for me. I put that in a crock pot and cook it on low overnight, usually around 12 hours.

That meat is great on chicken tacos, salads, or in casseroles. Often my lunch sandwich is that chicken meat from the broth with a slice of cheese.

Bobbi, I add a Bay leaf, about a dozen peppercorns, rough chopped onion, carrot, and celery, then throw in some herbs, always basil and oregano but occasionally parsley, thyme, garlic, or chives if I feel like it. I use the wings, back, feet, neck,, gizzard, and heart. I know where their feet have been, but if you scald them without over-scalding the toenails and spur twist off and the skin peels off pretty easily. If you over-scald it that skin tears real easily and that becomes a pain to take it off. That gets the feet clean enough for me. I put that in a crock pot and cook it on low overnight, usually around 12 hours.

That meat is great on chicken tacos, salads, or in casseroles. Often my lunch sandwich is that chicken meat from the broth with a slice of cheese.
That sounds delicious! I'm going to have to try that. Maybe I'll can the next batch. I'm also hoping to find some old laying hens so I can have some canned chicken. Love having that on hand!

I had to laugh at your comment about knowing where their feet have been. When DH and I were cleaning the chickens on Monday, I told him, "There are some people who actually eat chicken feet. I just don't think I could do it because I know where those feet have been!"
lau.gif
Honestly, I don't know that there is any way to get them clean enough for me....

Heck I eat chitterlings. Surely I could manage to eat some "clean & cooked" feet.

I am raising 30 CX at a time and will most likely do 60 this year. I may get brave and order another batch though in the fall. I have found a person that raises cattle that wants to trade beef for chickens though and I would LOVE a freezer full of chickens AND beef. Next to find a hog farmer willing to trade!

My husband is talking about building a second or maybe even third chicken tractor this winter so we can raise more. I love him and that he is as crazy as me!!
love.gif

I guess if I do meat birds I will look into building a tractor. Shouldn't be to tough...right

Our limiting factor is refrigerator space for letting them rest. We bought 20 and had planned to split processing between two consecutive weekends. Well, a friend has all the processing equipment and is helping us out so it'll go faster so it looks like we're cleaning out the fridge in 6 weeks.
My upright freezer is actually larger and I love it!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom