I might have made a big mistake with this rooster

Agree with the other posters that keeping a rooster with these behaviors isn't a good idea- just consider the liability issues should a young child draw his attention- never mind that having chickens is supposed to be fun for you and your family, not a source of stress.

If you decide to add another rooster, please please wait until the older pullets have started to lay. i.e. wait until they're 6-7 months old and add a 3-4 month old rooster- as this puts the girls firmly in charge of developing his manners, and makes it easier to integrate with your brahma roo, if you keep him.

Your young brahma rooster may start trying to mate with the girls before they are ready as roosters generally mature earlier than hens, but under no circumstances should he come after YOU or any other person. It's just one of those facts of rooster-hood - Every new flock goes through that when the rooster and his hens grow up together, and remember that doesn't mean your younger brahma roo is a bad fellow. There will be head grabbing, screaming etc. while they figure out the mechanics of 'the act', but once the older pullets start to lay and they 'figure things out' that will largely subside. But having the problem roo going after the 2.5mo old pullets is not acceptable.

As far as your acquired adult problem roo goes - to put this in perspective, I've got ... 8 ... full grown roosters that share the same (huge) space and same hens and not a single one would even consider going after a person. Ever. Every last one of them will move out of my way and respect my space, which took zero 'training' - and I do not look over my shoulder.

The day I wonder if I'm going to be attacked is that rooster's last day, which happily- has never happened. At night I can walk right up to anyone on the roost, right next to any rooster, and grab the hen beside him, who may even make a big loud fuss - and expect that they'll stay right where they are.

On the 'what to do' with him front - invitation to your dinner table is one idea - or you can advertise him as "food use OK, people aggressive"- full disclosure should you pass him along.

Can you isolate Winston? Give him time to adjust and figure out his environment? He is looking for suitable mates and your pullers aren’t ready yet but he doesn’t seem to understand.
Isolate him where he can see what is happening but keep him away from the rest. I have the ability to screen off part of my coop for such a thing.

Wanted to give an update. I put a listing for free rooster on Craigslist and marketplace. No takers. Winston had been in a cage for a week. Whenever I would put water in he would freak out and knock it over. I finally got the courage to say enough. I just dispatched him. I used the broomstick method and am ashamed to say it took three tries. This is the first animal I have ever killed. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Can you isolate Winston? Give him time to adjust and figure out his environment? He is looking for suitable mates and your pullers aren’t ready yet but he doesn’t seem to understand.
Isolate him where he can see what is happening but keep him away from the rest. I have the ability to screen off part of my coop for such a thing.
I did consider this. If he wasn't so aggressive against people. I have much to learn.

Wanted to give an update. I put a listing for free rooster on Craigslist and marketplace. No takers. Winston had been in a cage for a week. Whenever I would put water in he would freak out and knock it over. I finally got the courage to say enough. I just dispatched him. I used the broomstick method and am ashamed to say it took three tries. This is the first animal I have ever killed. Thanks for the advice everyone.
You did the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom